Purchasing a Maule

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Purchasing a Maule

Post by John Ashcroft »

It appears as though I have now sold the Debonair and am now actively looking for a M5 235C. I am trying to arrange a pre buy inspection of one in Melbourne. Is there a checklist anywhere or what in particular should we be looking for, other than engine and prop issues. What about corrosion? Are there any nasty AD's?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I'm sure someone else can give you a more comprehensive checklist, but here's what I can contribute off the top of my head:

1. In general, check it over like you're doing a very thorough annual. All inspection covers off, floorboards out, etc.

2. Pull the support struts off the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer and take a good look inside the stubs that they mount to on the lower longerons; the sealer that these were filled with tends to crack with age, letting in water. They really like to corrode here, and if they do, it can require cutting them off and welding in replacements.

3. Take a close look at the landing gear oleo attach bolts and the condition of holes in the top of the oleos where the spring seat/top eyelet attaches to the oleo tube itself. There are a few other threads on this site that describe the issues in this area; this is critical.

4. A complete AD check is critical as well; airframe-wise, the one that pops to mind is the lift strut one, which requires bi-ennial removal and treatment with linseed oil, or replacement with sealed-type struts.

5. If there is still fibreglass insulation under the floor, check closely for corrosion in the frame tubes, as the fibreglass tends to hold water.

Andy