Alaska Tundra Tires v ABW Bush Tires

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Alaska Tundra Tires v ABW Bush Tires

Post by John Ashcroft »

Can anyone give me a comparison of the Tundra tires v the ABW Bush Tires.
Seems the Bush tire is more of a balloon type and the Tundra wider and more solid.
I will be flying off airport but more times onto gravel strips. Love to see some pictures of the 29" Tundra tires fitted to a Maule.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

Here is the Alaska Bushwheel version of the tundra tire I think you are referring to. http://www.akbushwheel.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=91. ABW is STCed and does not need the field approval. ABW's wheels are bolted together and not glued like the tundra tire wheel. I have had the ABW 29x11-10 and now have the 31s. I like the 29s but love the 31s and will not being going back. I fly pavement and off airport with no problems. Both lasting a long time if you take care of them. Call Wup at ABW he will be able to answer questions in details.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I recently switched to Air Hawk 29 11 10's bought from ABW. love em. I run at 12 lbs on pavement and can go as low as 9 lbs if I want in off road places but haven't seen the need to ... they sure smooth out the rough shit....Oh and John neglected to tell you that's his Maule in the picture at the top of that site... :lol: :D
Iceman

vern

Post by vern »

Iceman: Did you happen to weight your 29-11-10's before installation? Also, are your tires with grooved treads or shaved?

I just picked up a set with grooved treads mounted on 10" ABW's. With brake disk (3/8") mounted, a single tire/wheel weights also 50 lbs.

I'm an M4-210C, like yours, and a little concerned about the affects of that additional weight over my current 8.00-6's. What's been your experience?

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

yes mine are shaved and have much tread on them... ask Wup but I don't think all that much is taken off in the shaving process but about 10 lbs is what I have heard... cruise speed suffers about 10 MPH with the 29's on... I don't much care about the added weight since it's usually only myself and my own camping gear in the plane... however I'm headed up to JC july 18th for about 9 days and I finally got my New York Son to fly to Boise where I'll pick him up on the 19th for a week of fly fishing back country flying and such... he's never been to Idaho so I'll have a great time showing it to him .. also never been in my or any small plane before... He's a NYC Homicide detective.. so this will be an eye opener for him...as far as weight is concerned I'm trying to lose about 15 lbs myself... which will help a bit... :lol: :roll: but I usually carry about 150 lbs camping gear on the way up.. this year will be a bit more since I have to lug extra stuff for him too and he'll be flying back to San Diego with me at the end... I may ship a box with some of the heavier stuff up but I'll gather it all and decide after I weigh and load it all for a trial flight here...you'll love the 29's. only sorry I didn't do it years ago...mine weighed 43 lbs each before I put them on...so each one is about 20 lbs heavier than my old 800;s but who cares...
Iceman