Bushwheels vs wet grass

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
NZMaule

Bushwheels vs wet grass

Post by NZMaule »

So it's winter over here and I've been doing quite a bit on short wet grass (heavy dew or rain) and seem to lock up the bushwheels with even slight braking. The AC kinda just keeps tracking along fine but with little resistance and of course absolutely no braking effect :shock:
wonder why I'm not slowing down, look out the window and the tyre is locked up :oops: !
Any pointers (other than not applying any brakes) to try to limit lock up in these situations - tyre pressure?... I'm currently running about 7psi.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

light brake pressure, kinda like anti lock brakes... friction with out the lock up.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I did that yesterday in very loose glacial till. It is hard to lighten up on the brakes when you see the trees approaching at an alarming rate... :shock: Still, rolling resistance will stop you much faster than sliding and gives you better directional control as well!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

Looks like a case of less is best, probably need to downsize my boot size :) Only seems to happen in certain situations and I guess instinct is to apply more brake pressure when you think brakes aren't doing the business.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The great advantage of double puck brakes is that you have a much more sensitive feel of the application than with single puck.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Upon landing, bringing the tail up and transferring the weight of the plane onto the main wheels with a little light braking and aft elevator can be fairly effective. We get the same effect landing on wet packed snow. I've had to shut down, get out and physically move the tail because I can't lock a brake to turn sharply enough

Boot size: I recently bought a set of merrill boots/shoes because my other big boots didnt' allow for me to feel much of the brake and I had recently landed with the left brake pedal still depressed. I was able to overcome the yaw on landing but I would have noticed before with a lighter pair of shoes.

Mike

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

LOL! I have to visually check where my feet are on the pedals in winter boots sometimes.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

crbnunit wrote:LOL! I have to visually check where my feet are on the pedals in winter boots sometimes.
yeah we have that problem to down here in So Cal...now where did I put those winter boots????? :lol:
Iceman