Stalls and such

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
willisbr

Stalls and such

Post by willisbr »

Working torwards my PPL in my MT7-235 and have some questions regarding flight maneuvers, specifically stalls.

I've completed power off stalls but, occasionally needing to aggravate the stall by popping the yolk back a bit. Some times, slowly bringing her back yields a descent but no stall. Maybe some fluttering but that's it. My understanding from a DPE is that during a practical, a full yolk back config with power off meets requirements as a stall. Comments as to how this plane stalls power off?

Other question is how to approach power on or departure stalls. I gotta be honest, I hope to god I don't have to demo a departure stall in this airplane as I feel I'll probably be pointing straight up. I love the performance of this plane...almost too much. What am I up against here during an exam?

Lastly, I've been with another maule pilot with a few wing overs, popping up and kicking into a peda turn and a dive. At least, that's what I would call it being a gyro plane pilot. Do it all the time in gyro world so I'm getting used to what some of the maneuvers and attitudes are like in fixed wing world. I understand the maule has a barn door of a rudder and tends to stay alive during a wing over. How is this maneuver executed by the numbers so I can have a reference of understanding in my head. Seems to be executed as an approach to stall but a wing over to me says pro spin. So whats the rest of the story here?

Not looking for flight training on here. Just want to understand some aerodynamics and the maule. Thanks all.
BRIAN WILLIS
Pace, Florida

Maule MT7-235 N235
RAF 2000 Gyroplane N429RK
Building Genesis G1sa

YouTube Videos

willisbr

Post by willisbr »

Ah, please move this to Flying and Operating Techhiques. Thanks.
BRIAN WILLIS
Pace, Florida

Maule MT7-235 N235
RAF 2000 Gyroplane N429RK
Building Genesis G1sa

YouTube Videos

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Brian, there are no numbers.
The Maule is standard category and not approved for airbatics beyond lazy eights and chandelles.
I think wingovers/hammerheads are airbatic maneuvers.
The Maule is relatively spin resistant. The aileron effects tend to override the rudder effect.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Most examiners I know will request the power on stall be done at about 2000 RPM which brings the nose up plenty. You're right in that at full power you'd be pretty close to vertical attitude and when it breaks for someone not aerobatically inclined and trained, it would be somewhat exciting! Also power off stalls can be corrected per the PTS at first indication of buffeting, stall warning indication, or upon reaching full aft elevator, and it's not neccesary to actually break. It's actually more of stall recognition then anything else and when light it's pretty hard to get to break. Popping the yoke back is not a good idea in the Maule as it could enter an accelerated stall and if rudders weren't properly positioned, it could snap on you and end up in very unusual attitude for a PPL. Furthermore, examiners like to see nice smooth control inputs. Good luck in your PPL endeavers!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Also bear in mind the yoke pulls WAY back. It pulls straight for the first 80% or so of its travel and it feels like that's it. Keep pulling back AND up, and there is more elevator deflection to be had.

If you're new to the Maule you may want to see this effect while parked at first.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843