Add this to the Lannding Checklist...

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
mxt180

Add this to the Lannding Checklist...

Post by mxt180 »

A friend of mine was landing his C-180 last week after a pleasure flight with a first-time passenger in the right seat. After an uneventful touchdown on asphalt he applied the brakes and the plane veered suddenly to the left, off the runway and was heavily damaged complete with a prop strike - probably a total loss. Fortunately, everyone is okay.

Turns out the right brake worked fine - the passenger had his foot behind the right rudder pedal.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

:shock:
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I pay attention to the floor mats for the same reason.

I have a very large friend with very big feet.

I'll keep an eye on him for sure.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mauleguywanab

Post by Mauleguywanab »

This is so sad!!!! Everyone will feel bad about this one for a while:-(( Thanks for the tip and I will be sure to add that one to the list. My wife is an excellent co-pilot so I do not stay in the habbit of double checking new passengers. I will now.

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Good idea!

Landing checklist: Passenger feet back and flat on floor - CHECK
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

http://youtu.be/gmYH9dEhFvs

After this incident we made sure to include "feet on the floor" to the pre-landing brief when we take riders in the Stearman. It's a good idea to visually check the passenger's feet in the Maule as well.

In this case the front seater was a news cameraman and he used the rudder pedals to push himself higher in the seat for a better video of the landing just about the time they were touching down...too late for the pilot to do anything about it and the rest is history.

There was some video of this "landing" from the front seat cameraman as well, but I can't seem to find it.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top