Tire size for off airport landings

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Scott

Tire size for off airport landings

Post by Scott »

I have a MX7-180 with 8.50 tires and have been thinking about going up to the 26 or 31 tires but that got me thinking, how large of rocks and ground obstructions are safe for the 8.50 , 26 and 31 size of tire?
Scott,
CFI, MX7-180A

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

http://bentpropproductions.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=27

See attached video - This is the 35" tires at work....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I love my 31's. Just remember, the same rocks the 31's soak up without complaint will hammer the poo out of your tailwheel.... :shock:
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

formerpacerdriver

Other reasons for fat tires

Post by formerpacerdriver »

Not to divert the thread, but there's another reason for big tires, other than big rocks: Soft landing surfaces.

I changed a set of 8.50 x 6.00s for a set of 26 inch Goodyears on my Pacer years ago because of the soft sand at the cabin's "runway" (aka sandbar). The tire HEIGHT was not too much different, but when running about 10 PSI in the tire, it made a big difference in ground handling and shortened the takeoff distances.

After the snow to melts I'll do the same on the M-6.
Dano
'82 M-6 235

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I just put a set of 29 11 10's on my M4 from ABW... I'm having a ball with them.. I"m keeping them on for now as I'm heading for the BCP fly in at Caveman next month but been getting used to them and they are everything I expected... I lost 10 MPH cruise speed but then I still have my 800 x 6's for local flying to paved strips here if I want..yes it's more expensive to do what I've done but I saved my bucks and just did it.. total cost was 3100 bucks for the 10 inch wheels with shaved 29's. I had to go to double puck brakes which also cost a few bucks but It's what we do so I don't care about saving a few bucks.. I'm 66 years old and I'm beginning to wonder how many years I have to enjoy flying so no cost is really too much as I see it... Hey we're gonna be dead for a long time so why not enjoy life while we're here. I lost my 25 year old son in 2000 thanks to a "in a hurry teenager" who was passing on a double line and hit him head on so I have a different point of view than most. enjoy life, it's way too short...... ...the Air Hawks have tread so they will last a little longer than the bushwheels but do the same thing in the back country... and besides they look absolutely great. and raised my prop a total of 5 AND A half inches off the ground...I've found that with them on it takes a lot more brake to get the tail off the ground so you can really stand on the brakes if needed without fear of going over or a prop strike...anyway do whatever you want but that's my 2 cents... :lol:
Iceman

Screech

Post by Screech »

I put a set of 29 11 10s on my Mx180 last year and feel the same way Iceman does. I'm 71 so what the hell.

Paul Amstutz

Tires for off airport landings

Post by Paul Amstutz »

ABW shaved 29 11 10 on M7. 500+ pavement landings and still see several of shave marks. 100+ Utah back country landings. 12 PSI on pavement rolls better on pavement than 8 PSI used on dirt, but 8 PSI is noticeably softer, and rolls better on soft/sandy strips. Seems like a good compromise tire for this back country beginner.

offearth

Post by offearth »

What is the weight penalty for going from an 8.50x6 to a 29 11 10? And how does that weight compare to the 31 inch Bushwheel?

usernameguy

Post by usernameguy »

I have flown with 8.50 29"s 31"s and 35"s. I personally think if you are going to open up your options and start doing some fun stuff; bite the bullet and get the 31"s. You won't regret it. Just make sure you actually use them for what they are made for, otherwise it feels like a waste. The only regret I had was waiting to put bigger tires on. I have 31"s on my cub and 35"s on my Maule. They completely changed my outlook on flying. I was flying professionally and never flew for fun until my uncle took me off airport. I hadn't flown for fun in a decade and now its all i do. Call bushwheels you will be happy you did. Tell Wup I said hello.

BudG
100+ Posts

29'

Post by BudG »

Just a quick word on the 29's. They have an inner tube. and a stem. Running them too soft might cause them to roll around on the wheel and shear off the stem. Might cause a little more bounce but I was advised not to run them less than 10psi due to the slippage. I haven't done gravel bar landings and such like Lameusernameguy, (great videos and I would really like to get some future instruction Sir). But even running them at 12psi for turf and unimproved strips has suited me well. I like the other gentleman on this thread, have my 8.00's on a seperate set of wheels for Xcountry cruising. It only takes about an hour for me to change them out. The ABW are a complete tire, no inner tube so they are the top of the line. For me the price $400 for the 29" shaved was the kicker.

Cheers Yalll,

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I too run mine at 12 PSI and they do roll a lot easier out of the hangar than my 800's... Wup advised me to go 12 lbs for pavement or occasional dirt and I could go as low as 9 PSI per him if I want.. less than 9 would possible cause tire slip on the rim... not a good thing for tube types..as for weight,,, the 29 11 10's on the wheels weigh 43 lbs each... a good 20 lbs per wheel more than my 800's...so it's a hefty weight increase but so what....
Iceman

8714yy

Post by 8714yy »

I have the 31's on my '68 M-4 and love them. The prop clearance is a real plus since I have long prop. with the 8.50s the prop was close and not great for rocks. I run mine from about 5 to 10 psi depending on the mission and have had great results. If you have the dough they are worth it.
David Allen

BudG
100+ Posts

tires

Post by BudG »

What do the ABW 31's with wheels weigh?

Bud

UtahMaule
100+ Posts

Post by UtahMaule »

usernameguy wrote:I have flown with 8.50 29"s 31"s and 35"s. I personally think if you are going to open up your options and start doing some fun stuff; bite the bullet and get the 31"s. You won't regret it. Just make sure you actually use them for what they are made for, otherwise it feels like a waste. The only regret I had was waiting to put bigger tires on. I have 31"s on my cub and 35"s on my Maule. They completely changed my outlook on flying. I was flying professionally and never flew for fun until my uncle took me off airport. I hadn't flown for fun in a decade and now its all i do. Call bushwheels you will be happy you did. Tell Wup I said hello.
So, Usernameguy. Seems how you've flown 31's and 35's on your Maules. Tell us your thoughts on going with 31's or 35's? I love my 31's, but it seems like all the really cool people and getting 35's :shock: :shock: My 31's have over 300 hours on them and still look great, but I'm thinking they won't last forever. I know I'll get peer pressure to go with 35's when my 31's wear out.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

BudG, I just weighed a used 8.50x6 McCreary mounted with tube, disc and wheel at 24lbs and a new ABW 31" mounted with disc and wheel, 36lbs.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide