Tire size for off airport landings

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Mauleguywanab

Post by Mauleguywanab »

Come on UtahMaule!!! Everybody is doing it;-)). Sell those 31's while you can get something out of them;-)). Ha ha ha.
I wanted more prop clearance and some extra AOA. Sure am happy with the set up now.

BudG
100+ Posts

31" weight

Post by BudG »

Thanks Jeremy,

That's not a bad trade off for advantages.

CAVU2U
Bud

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Mauleguywanab

Post by Mauleguywanab »

Lookin good!!!!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

RobBurson, who is that confident looking bloke in the 2nd photo?
Those are 31"s?

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

those are Robs new 35's....
Iceman

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

There was a post on the Backcountry Pilot site from people with C180s and C185s complaining about large tires oscillating on spring gear in flight. I don't have a problem with Goodyear 8.50x6 tires on my MX-7-180 with oleo struts even though they're pretty heavy, but I'd like to find out if Maule owners with spring gear and bigger tires experience the problem. C180s and C185s have spring steel gear legs and Maule spring gear legs are aluminum, so maybe they aren't as susceptible.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

usernameguy

Post by usernameguy »

So, Usernameguy. Seems how you've flown 31's and 35's on your Maules. Tell us your thoughts on going with 31's or 35's? I love my 31's, but it seems like all the really cool people and getting 35's :shock: :shock: My 31's have over 300 hours on them and still look great, but I'm thinking they won't last forever. I know I'll get peer pressure to go with 35's when my 31's wear out.[/quote]

Man Poor form on my part. Sorry been busy and haven't looked recently. I got my 35s to stop ripping up my tail, because I put on a 86" prop. Since then (400 hours ago) I noticed I will do stuff that I wouldn't with my 31s. It took a while to really realize that I had big gains, but I wouldn't go back now that I figure it out. I am running 31's on my carbon cub and they do great, but when its super rough I head in with the maule first (of course if its real real short then I have a decision to make). I am also running the extended gear so I have a large front end and like the comfort it provides from an AOA and clearance standpoint. Bottom line-10% of the time I am very glad I run the 35s as opposed to 31s. I also find that 10% to be the most fun :)

again sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

truthinbeer wrote:RobBurson, who is that confident looking bloke in the 2nd photo?
Those are 31"s?
ha ha thats me, those tires will give you that look

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

andy wrote:There was a post on the Backcountry Pilot site from people with C180s and C185s complaining about large tires oscillating on spring gear in flight. I don't have a problem with Goodyear 8.50x6 tires on my MX-7-180 with oleo struts even though they're pretty heavy, but I'd like to find out if Maule owners with spring gear and bigger tires experience the problem. C180s and C185s have spring steel gear legs and Maule spring gear legs are aluminum, so maybe they aren't as susceptible.
They are fine on mine. No oscillating. I think the aluminum is pretty stiff compared to the Cessnas steel