Flaps

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

OK, all small airplanes that I am familiar with, flaps add drag, or best rate of climb would be with some flap, but it isn't is it.
Everything else aside if you ever find yourself way overgross, possibly at a high density altitude and worrying if you can make it out of a particular strip or not, a rule of thumb is to use no more flap than max aileron deflection.
Now if for example your light, have a 235 or bigger and it's at or near sea level and on a cold day, shortest takeoff will be with max flap.
There is no one rule that fits every instance.

yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly »

A64- exactly right!!

I was finishing up my instrument rating at Santa Monica. We were cleared into position and hold (remember those days?) Sea level, 55 deg F, half tanks, steady 12kt right down the runway, 235 IO540... My crusty old instructor had me put down full flaps and pull the yoke right back. When we were cleared for takeoff, I pushed the throttle all the way up. The plane rolled about 40 feet and then elevated like a U-2. Instructor said he liked to occasionally make an impression on the tower guys.

Made an impression on me too. :shock:

BudG
100+ Posts

Flaps

Post by BudG »

Great Post (including the gaff's) !

Question...a little off the exact subject but flaps.... has anyone ever experimented with flap fences or aileron fences on the Maule. Seems that when all that air is deflected it falls off the end of the wing or disrupts the aileron with the deflected air off of the flaps causing the wing to waffle or wobble at almost stall speed. Especially at full deflection 48.?
I have the short MX7 wing 30'10".

CAVU2U
Bud