Ground based oxygen tank use in the Maule

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
RobBurson
100+ Posts

Ground based oxygen tank use in the Maule

Post by RobBurson »

Aircraft O2 systems are not cheep. I'm getting ready for the Maule flyin at Valier, Mt. I have to fly over the Rocky's. I have access to medical O2 tanks and I can fill for free. Can it be used? Safely? FAA? I fly a non pressurized Maule. Thanks in advance for your knowledge. Cheers…Rob

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

As long as the bottle is DOT approved it can be used in an aircraft.
The aviation or non medical ox has had the moisture removed (Moisture will cause the mechanical parts of the system too Freeze-up at high altitude).
I prefer medical ox as I keep my bottle at my side (not in the tail section) and the moisture is better on my nose. I fly 8 to 10 hours a month on ox.
DON'T let the cabin area freeze it you use medical ox.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If the moisture wasn't removed, there sure would be a lot of water in the bottle when the gas was compressed to about 1/133 of the space it occupies at sealevel pressure. I'm probably wrong, but I thought the only difference between medical, aviator and welding O2 is the bottle it's put in.

mikemike

Post by mikemike »

a64pilot wrote: ...I thought the only difference between medical, aviator and welding O2 is the bottle it's put in.
You are correct.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Rob,
I got to play with most of the systems and talk to most of the major 02 systems people at Sun-n-fun. I ended up with the Sky-ox. The mountain high system I believe is probably the best, but by the time you buy four regulators for a four place system, it gets real expensive. SKy-ox was the simpliest to use, didn't require that "moustache" conserver and ended up being the cheapest. The others required you to adjust individual needle valves per person or were real expensive. The SKy-ox you just set the regulator to .5 ltrs per min and don't touch it again, it will automatically compensate for more or less numbers of users. Also the conservers they use are a disk that hangs on you chest instead of a thing on your upper lip.
I'll have it at the fly-in if you want to see it.

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

How HIGH to you people fly that you need oxygen?

flyer
Flyer

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

flyer wrote:How HIGH to you people fly that you need oxygen?

flyer
Above 10,000 for a long time, you really should. I'll go to 14,000 or so on a long flight if the winds are favorable. The airport I fly out of is like 200 msl, and a mountain to us guy's down south is 3 or 4 thousand feet high.
I assume the guy's out west where the real mountains are need 02 to keep from hitting the ground.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I put mine on anytime I am flying at or above 9000 for an extended time.
When I was younger I did not use o2 at much higher altitudes, now I have gained a small amount of wisdom, I hope...... and I feel much better after flying when I use O2.
I have been to 23000 on 02 ( in a Maule) and have pressure chamber cert from the USAF.
If you have a bottle, USE IT. The FAA reg's are for the young and as you get older LOWER the figures. At night JUST USE IT, PERIOD.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I am preparing for the Johnson Creek, Flyin and did a search for this O2 thread. I just checked the:
http://www.skyox.com/oxygensystems
although I read about this in AOPA
http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.phtml?nav ... uct_id=421
Double the price almost! any inputs appreciated as to improvements.
Has any of your inputs changed since 2006?
How many cubic ft. bottle did you choose and why?
What type of feed do you use, mask, nose apparatus, other?
Thanks in Advance
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

I got my system from Aeromedix

http://www.aeromedix.com/category-exec/ ... _2_4_Place

I also got a Pulse Oximeter.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Dick,
Which system did you get? How many people ? I was thinking 2.
How is the push for JC going?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I flew to Redmond, OR to Mountain High and had them set me up with a 4 place system. Its right at the airport office complex. You can get the adapter valves to fill them from different sources. I have read that welding, medical and aviation O2 all comes from the same source. Medical oxygen requires a prescription per the FDA. Aviation oxygen is DOT regulated. I'm like 210, if I'm at 9k or above I like to use it, I feel better.
1976 M5-235-C

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Don,
Is the system as easy to use as advertised? What size bottle did you end up with? I know I will be with you and David aka 210 on the altitude. It appears that this electronic system automatically makes adjustments as needed?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I would buy the largest tank you can. Mine is about 36" long by 4".
You will find some places will charge you 50 or 60 dollars to fill any bottle.
I have been charged as much as 75.
The big bottle you can charge locally much cheaper than out on the road, if you may.
I use the cannual with adjustable regulator. The other systems look great. However, I fly at high altitudes most of the time and if I'm not feeling a 100% I will turn my regulator up higher than recomended.
And when I go above 18,000 i use a mask on the same system.
If I have left behind my mask and need to go above 18,000 I can turn the o2 up very high until I can clear the situation and come back down.
I would not purchase any other system.
Just took a look, mine is a Sky OX four port system.
In the near future, I will purchase a composite scuba cylinder. It is about the size of a regular aluminum dive cylinder. As lone as It is DOT certified I can use it in an aircraft. The composite dive cylinder is about half the price as the aviation boys want for the same thing.
Last edited by 210TC on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I have learned that the medical ox v. other ox is all the same.
I was told long ago about the moisture content and now I find out It is BS.
It amazes me how much I can learn with a little research.