Tri-gear tail skid

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
SlowFlyer

Tri-gear tail skid

Post by SlowFlyer »

I have a MXT-180 and have been dumping flaps for landings for a couple of months now. Most of the times I can hear the tail skid(tiedown) slide on the ground and sometimes I feel it impact the ground before the mains because of the increased deck angle with 0 or -7 flaps. Last week I took 2 people on the back seat and fell from about 1-2 ft to the runway and got really worried because I felt it hit the ground pretty hard.
Should I stop dumping flaps?
Can the airframe take that load?
Will I leave the tail section at the threshold next time I do it????

edit, I checked out other posts and found info.
Anyone have a tailwheel leaf that wants to sell? or know of some field mod I could do?
FAA doesn´t have many eyes in Panama so I should not get into any problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TomD
100+ Posts

Tail wheel spring

Post by TomD »

I would think the ABW heavy duty tail spring assembly would work on your bird. Put it on my M5 and Mo Betta.

TD

Musicflight

Post by Musicflight »

Talk to Jeremy. I have a MT7-235 which is a lot more nose heavy and Jeremy put a leaf spring tail skid on my plane, but I DO NOT dump flaps and have yet to hit the tail skid, even with full yoke in the lap. Dumping flaps before you land is generally not a good practice. And if you are getting your commercial license, that manuever will fail you for the practical flight review. Again, get in touch with Jeremy and get his tips since he really has a feel for the numbers (airspeed) with regard to landings. And yes, you can "squat" the mains, with those kinds of landings. Good luck!
rubber side down

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

I fly an MXT-7 180A, IMHO, the tail skid is a good idea if you come in slow and land behind the curve. Even with an intimate feel for the plane you drag the tail tie down in the grass, dirt etc occasionally, not necessarily a good thing without the skid. I wouldn't dump flaps until your mains are on the ground, with VG's, gap seals cooperating wind, reasonable load and time in the plane 300' to stop is obtainable on a consistent basis. Dumping flaps while two feet in the air is asking for trouble/damage.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Just want to clarify. There are times when 300' is not possible due to environmental conditions, load etc. That's where time in the plane and practice factor in, you'll get to know your planes limitations as well as your own. Work up to high performance landings slowly and safely. Practicing slow flight, stalls etc at altitude is a good way to work on getting the feel for how your airplane behaves on the edges of the performance envelope. Don't try something for the first time while 50' AGL. Don't get discouraged it takes time and practice to become consistent and it is a lot of fun.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Does anyone have a link to the tail skid?

My rear tiedown has some wear on it... :roll:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

SlowFlyer

Post by SlowFlyer »

bobguhr wrote:Just want to clarify. There are times when 300' is not possible due to environmental conditions, load etc. That's where time in the plane and practice factor in, you'll get to know your planes limitations as well as your own. Work up to high performance landings slowly and safely. Practicing slow flight, stalls etc at altitude is a good way to work on getting the feel for how your airplane behaves on the edges of the performance envelope. Don't try something for the first time while 50' AGL. Don't get discouraged it takes time and practice to become consistent and it is a lot of fun.
Agreed! I usually dump at contact or that instant right before it, in this occasion I had horrible timing and it happened. I am pretty sure me ego suffered a lot more than the airplane, but still got me thinking if it could mess up the structure.
Anyways, I will stick to flaps down landings until I find a good fix for a skid.

Thanks for all the help.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I just put this on another thread
You can fit a 7.00x6 tyre in the nosegear fork. Turn the attach bolts upsidedown. Add a rubber snubber utilizing a length of hd radiator hose around the nose strut. 4.5" with 3 hose clamps.
8.50x6 tyres can be fitted on the mains using same wheels.
The single puck brakes are adequate for the trigear 180 or 235/260.
Fit a tail dragger tailspring longest leaf with a second curve bent into it to align it paralel to bottom of rudder.
Can be done on a 337 with IA / FAA relationship.
Also, the taildragger 48 degree flap ratchet can be fitted in trikes.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide