Mt7-260 w/ edo 2790 flying over gross?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Turboarrowpilot

Mt7-260 w/ edo 2790 flying over gross?

Post by Turboarrowpilot »

Thinking of puting my maule mt7 260 on a set of edo 2790, having a hard time justifying the usefull load of around 610 lbs, anyone flown a bit over gross at lower elevation lakes,

TomD
100+ Posts

Over gross

Post by TomD »

I am surprised you only get 610 mgw on a M7. My M5 gets at least 100lbs more on Aqua 2400's.

If you accidentally overload your aircraft, I would suggest not mentioning it on a bulletin board or any other digital media.

1's and 0's are forever. Just ask certain Congressmen and/or Enron executives.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i have some 2790 experience while on a 185. they are VERY expensive to maintain, and also very heavy (amphibs, duhhhh). i'm afraid you will end up with a 2 seat maule while on these floats.

i have no experience operating beyond the confines of the type certificate, BUT, on aqua 2400's i regularly depart a 4000 foot long lake with BIIIG trees at both ends AT 2750 lbs (usually measured down to ounces). it is a sporting departure on warm no-wind days, but it is quite do-able.
M5-235

TomD
100+ Posts

floats

Post by TomD »

Sorry did not know the 2790's are amphibs.

I agree w/ UP-M5. A Maule on amphibs is essentially a two person with not much gear bird.

I can dig up my W&B on 2400's but not near my books right now.

With the longer wing and more ponies I would expect the M7 260 go get out pretty smartly on 2400's

TD

wings2water

Post by wings2water »

I would start with my disclaimer and statement that I would never knowingly or have never flown an airplane over gross nor would not recommend it, but I have a m7-260 on wip 3000a's with a useful load of 685 and it truly is a legal 2 person and gear plane, however, if you added 2 FAA 170 lb people to that number, I believe from what I've been told by other people that it will work, but it's not super pretty. I was told to expect difficulty getting on step, but once on step it will fly off relatively well with a 300-500fpm climb at density altitude of around 1000ft. Watch c.g. Fuel is forward, people are aft.But what do I know, it's just what I've heard.
70% of earth is water...why limit yourself to land?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

wings2water wrote:I would start with my disclaimer and statement that I would never knowingly or have never flown an airplane over gross nor would not recommend it, .
***see disclaimer above also applicable here***

I have seen those kinds of loads departing out of the ponds locally a couple of times over the years and have to agree with Wings2water, 350lbs over seems to get off ok. Biggest thing for success appears to be CG of load. If too far aft, the nose doesn't want to transition over hump to step too well.. If loaded too far fwd the nose doesn't want to come up to hump and get on step. Once on step, accelerated as fast as it will plane, it appears that popping in the second notch of flaps will pop it out of water, reducing flaps slowly will allow to accelerate airspeed without settling back on water. It also appears that when loaded this heavy, rough water can be challenging, as waves, wind, wake, and low floatation are all working together to upset the aircraft... :roll:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.