Getting Maule out of hanger

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

OK, interim avatar until the final graphics are on.
Best regards,

Rhys

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Here's a link to the ABW store on their website. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way to see the tailwheel eye bolt. It comes in three sizes and costs $42.20.

http://www.akbushwheels.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=58
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Bob

Post by Bob »

First post from a new member to this forum and a complete newbie to the world of “Maule”…it’s looking good so far!
Please bear a short background to my thread-related question:
After a recent move to Switzerland for work and due to the EXORBITANT cost of GA flying here, I have joined a local gliding club to learn the art of "Soaring" and to keep airborne at a reasonable cost.
Due to my “Powered Flying” background, folks at the gliding club have very kindly asked me to join their merry band of Tug/Tow pilots, so I am currently receiving “Familiarization” on the club M7-235B and training in the art of dragging gliders uphill to a safe release height and getting back down ASAP without cracking the cylinders. So far so good! Fun and free flying time!
At this point you might expect a question about power management, shock cooling, descent technique, landing the thing in one piece or some other advanced topic, those will probably come later…
Back on thread. The club policy and practice for moving the aircraft out of the hangar in the morning and for putting it away at the end of the day, after it’s mandatory wash, is for the pilot on duty to steer from the tow bar, attached to the tail wheel axle, and for one or two people to pull / push from the root of the prop blades….I just stand back and cringe…smart pilot to keep well away from that prop!
Is there any specific reason that dictates not pulling or pushing from the wing struts of a Maule?
With this question in mind I almost called the factory, but when looking for their number online I came across this site instead and though, bingo, must join!
In many years of flying various strutted models of the C brand of aircraft, (can one mention the brand out loud on this site?) I and all operators of similar models around me have always moved them about on the ground by pulling and pushing on the wing struts. On the other hand, this M7 is the first Maule I have seen up close in captivity, so am wondering if this “Hands off my struts” is a common practice dictated by their design.
A couple of members have mentioned pushing on the struts in this thread, but it does not stand out as the SOP.
In this particular case I would much rather keep well away from that prop disk, as it kicks over from a possible grounded P wire and spoonful of residual fuel left over from a hastily executed shutdown.
This forum is truly a great resource, thanks to you all for the opportunity to learn from your accumulated collective knowledge.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Wingstruts are good, Provided they are pushed/pulled, at or near the end.
Best is right behind or ahead of the tyre, not further out.

Welcome aboard.
Last edited by maules.com on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

I find with my bigger tail wheel that I push on the foot rest and the strut and if I slightly pull back on the strut I can get it to track straight all the way out of the hangar.
Best regards,

Rhys

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

get big tires.... much easier to push out of the hangar with my 29 11 10's than the old 800's.... :D
Iceman

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

What a luxury having others to push while you guide. I think I had help putting the M5 in the hangar once last year.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I think it may be an uphill struggle to convince some of the rest of the group to stay away from the prop, they REALLY don't like touching the struts, and I see their point.
Obviously they are all very aware of the danger, even if remote, of a prop kicking over and causing injury or worse. This recognized danger is mitigated by following a careful shutdown procedure following a dead magneto check.

I guess a strut failure in flight would be even more catastrophic but much more unlikely, particularly since we have the two on each side and a bent strut would be a very obvious No-Go item.
For all aircraft models having struts, one could wager that there are many more prop accidents than strut failures during any given time period.

Yes, fortunate indeed, there are not only plenty of volunteers to push the aircraft around on the ground, but also to give it a wash at the end of the day. The gliding community here and I guess in other parts of the world, is fairly unique in aviation in that everyone “volunteers” their time and input…Instructors, tow pilots, glider maintenance personnel, are all qualified unpaid club members. Of course official things like pilot examinations, routine tug maintenance, parts and fuel are all paid for at exorbitant prices. One counteracts the other to keep gliding rates at reasonable levels, compared to the cost of flying GA aircraft here in Europe.
Thanks again and best regards.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Bob,
This may have already been asked, but what can you tell me about your wheel pants?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Bob, along with pictures of the wheelpants, how about the Swiss wingtips it looks like you have on.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Bob

Post by Bob »

Not being familiar with the Maule options I assumed both the wingtips and wheel pants were factory originals, evidently not.
I will try to get some info and get back to you both shortly.
Will also take some close ups next weekend to post here.

Henry L. Heaberlin
100+ Posts

Moving the Maule in and out

Post by Henry L. Heaberlin »

I use a home built tow bar on my Scott/ABW tailwheel that engages both sides of the axle coming through the fork. A small "retired" lawn tractor makes a great little tug and takes the worry and wear and tear on my back out of the picture... I have also used the tail dragger-dragger manually. I like the tractor better... :) Henry

Bob Bowen

Post by Bob Bowen »

The PowerTow 40EZ is not the cheapest, but likely is the best and safest all-around way to get a Maule out and into a hangar. Fuel it with 100LL samples from your preflight.

It's money well spent.
Bob

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

The PowerTow 40EZ is not the cheapest, but likely is the best
+1 on the PowerTow . I found one used and while it is a bit tricky pushing a tailwheel it beats the heck of further wrecking my back.

All these tractors seem to be designed for nose wheel aircraft with tail wheel models included as an afterthought.

xcflyn

Post by xcflyn »

I am working on my second version of a powered tow bar. First one was designed to lift the rear wheel. I spent way too much time messing around with a the design only to not like it. I am now going with one that hooks the wheel axle. Driven by a $80 harbor freight winch motor and gear box (heavily modified to drive a sprocket).
If I ever got off this computer maybe I can get my lazy butt out the shop and finish making parts so I can share a picture. I will have maybe $275 into it. If it works like I hope it will be a good investment, If not I will go back to the drawing board I guess and keep pushing wing struts and complaining the whole time I am pushing.