Getting Maule out of hanger

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
plowboy

Getting Maule out of hanger

Post by plowboy »

How do you get your Maule out of the hanger? I push on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. Is there a better way other than buying an engine powered mule for the tailwheel?

MNMAULE

Maule out of hanger

Post by MNMAULE »

I bought an Eyebolt from ABW that replaces a bolt on the tail spring and pull it out with a rope that has a clip on the end of it- if it is facing forward into the hanger.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maule tailspring towbar, taildragger dragger, grab handles, wing strut close to fuselage. If facing out.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

worzel

Post by worzel »

I always just used to push on the left or right wing struts - but on my new ship we have what I can only describe as a shopping trolley at the back, so its impossible with a lot of fuel the move in any direction except around in circles. A 'Scott' is on order !
M5-235 G-OJGT

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

I just use the antennas or push on the trailing edge of the flaps or elevators. Or if the door is already open, I push on that, its my favorite way to do it cause then my hands don't hurt pushing on the upholstered door panel.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

I have a tow bar I hook to my 1948 Willys Jeep
RT

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have a gas powered Taildragger Dragger as well as the Maule tailspring towbar. The ramp in front of my hanger is sloped, so it's hard for one person to pull my MX-7-180 up the ramp by hand. I've used the Taildragger Dragger for years, but I've recently started to wonder if it's a good idea to put that much pressure on the Maule tailwheel axle. I think it tends to loosen the tailwheel on the tailspring and might bend the axle slightly in extreme cases. The ABW eye-bolt with an electric winch (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/p ... haw100.php) sounds like a good solution but I think you could just wrap a rag around the tailspring and use the winch cable.

The ABW 3200 tailwheel doesn't look like it would be as susceptible to the pushing/pulling pressure of a Taildragger Dragger due to the hefty fork. I'm saving my pennies for the heavier duty ABW tailspring and 3200 Tailwheel Fork Kit.

Question: Would the 11 inch ABW tailwheel tire work ok with Goodyear 8.50x6 tires on the mains instead of bushwheels? It seems like it would raise the tail less than 3 inches more than the stock 8 inch tire, reducing the resting angle of attack a bit and improving the view over the glare shield while taxiing. The wider ABW tailwheel tire would be good in soggy grass, deep dirt or gravel.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you raise the tail, you cannot take off as quickly and the Maule kerplunk landing will be more pronounced as the wing angle of attack is reduced.
The taildraggerdragger probably can't damage the tailwheel as it already endures being wacked on the ground partially sideways at up to 60mph with a potential downward load of up to 650lbs
Last edited by maules.com on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Also if WUP is around to correct me if I'm wrong- but I think the STC installing the large tailwheel precludes installation without larger main tires and the 8.50's don't qualify?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

brokenaero wrote:I just use the antennas or push on the trailing edge of the flaps or elevators. Or if the door is already open, I push on that, its my favorite way to do it cause then my hands don't hurt pushing on the upholstered door panel.
:lol:

260driver

Post by 260driver »

8.50's are GTG with the baby bushwheel...I have that setup on my M7, for the time being. After flying with the BCP fellas last weekend, I've determined that it is time to throw the "big boys" on.

Angloflyer

ABW eye-bolt

Post by Angloflyer »

I wonder if Andy could post a picture and/or link for the ABW eye-bolt arrangement? I tried the electric power version of the Taildragger dragger without success and had to return it. On even a slight incline the chain kept jumping the sprocket. Very poor design. I ended up installing an electric winch hooked up to a 12v battery on trickle charge with a remote control. I had the standard Maule tow bar modified to hook the winch cable onto. It does work well but I'm conscious of the fact it may be putting some unwanted stress on the tailwheel spring. An eye-bolt sounds far simpler?

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

I just use the antennas or push on the trailing edge of the flaps or elevators. Or if the door is already open, I push on that, its my favorite way to do it cause then my hands don't hurt pushing on the upholstered door panel.
Now that is funny. I have had many new to flying passengers try to grab anything that sticks out to help.

I have the 8.50X6 tires with a Gar Aero (we did a 337 about two years ago) big tailwheel tire (the tire itself is a glider tire). I can't say I noticed a difference in take off than when I had the Scott 3200. The angle of attack is presently similar to the angle of the Scott 3200 and 7.00x6. What is really good about the bigger tailwheel is when you are trying to push the plane around on soft ground, it moves so much easier. When I put the Goodyear 26" tires on the angle of attack is the same as the 8.50x6 and the Scott 3200. So I'll have blimp tires on the front and a glider tire on the back. The plane is going to have an identity crisis. Now I need to go back and grab a couple antennas.
Best regards,

Rhys

TomD
100+ Posts

Plane

Post by TomD »

Rhys;

You need an new Avatar!!

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

Hey Rhys,
I seen a yellow Maule that has the same N # as the one in your avitar. It might be a counterfit. :P
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson