MX7 Ugly Wheel Landing.

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Skyjunky

MX7 Ugly Wheel Landing.

Post by Skyjunky »

Being a new MX-7 owner I have noticed that the angle of attack is high on approach even with lots of extra power being carried. When attempting to wheel land the MX-7 touches down in a 3 point position almost every time. When trying to pin the wheels it makes for an ugly wheel landing. I've tried all flap setting and a spectrum of speeds. Ive had MX guys tell me "it's a 3 point airplane by design." Would like some MX opinions and suggestions.
Thanks.
Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane? You obviously haven't seen our airplanes.

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

I'm a relatively new pilot (2005) and I've a relatively new MX7-180C since I took it from the factory in 2006. It's got VGs, elevator flap seals, and a not-so-light pilot who likes to carry the "kitchen sink along" just in case; in other words, very rarely is it lightly loaded.

I have to be flying 2 to 3 times a week to be happy with my wheel landings but I have never thought that the angle of attack had to be high on approach. The plane will quite happily do 3 point landings but not oleos and 30 lbs of pressure in the mains for asphalt does require "some touch".

Have you been bitten by the camcorder bug and have videos?

You can see what I see on my landings
http://www.vimeo.com/album/83891
I don't think the angle of attack is high.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

The MX (I am guesin' Short wing) you might need to carry a little more speed if you are super high AOA and want a wheelie .... they do like to tail first 3 pt land for sure.