Where to pull full 48 degrees of flaps on final

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Where to pull full 48 degrees of flaps on final

Post by Tomkatz »

Guy/gals,

I was wondering where, on your final approach, you guys are pulling your final 48 degrees of flaps. I pull at 40' to 80' AGL and landing assured. I have a MX7-180B and this question is for those that have 48 degrees to pull or have the knowledge and or experience to answer such a question.
Tom K.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

For STOL work, get your flaps out early enough so that you have time to stabilize your final airspeed and are not making any large last minute power/trim changes. Where this happens will be dictated by where you are landing. Terrain, go around options, wind/turbulence etc...all play a factor.

MikeW

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Where I pull the last notch (48 degrees) of flaps depends on the approach. If there are obstacles around the strip, I pull the last notch before the final leg and adjust power to stabilize airspeed earlier in the descent to landing. On a tight approach around terrain that requires a short landing, you don't want to be fooling with lots of variables in the final leg.

Sight picture of the touchdown point and wind also affect the decision on when to use the final flap setting. If you're too high, you'll need the final notch earlier and a steeper descent. A headwind may require delaying the application of the last notch.

On a normal approach, I add the last notch just after my turn to final and stabilize the pitch and power changes.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

UtahMaule
100+ Posts

Post by UtahMaule »

I try to be very aware of speed as I pull flaps. (hard on your wing if you pull to fast) For the 48 d notch I make sure I am good and slow. Other than that I think you should practice pulling them at different positions in your approach.

To say you should always pull the last notch at X location in the approach would be wrong. Each approach is different, practice all types of approaches and configurations. That's what's fun.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

UtahMaule wrote:I try to be very aware of speed as I pull flaps. (hard on your wing if you pull to fast) For the 48 d notch I make sure I am good and slow. Other than that I think you should practice pulling them at different positions in your approach.

To say you should always pull the last notch at X location in the approach would be wrong. Each approach is different, practice all types of approaches and configurations. That's what's fun.

Hat he said! ^^^

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I am also very conservative on airspeed and flap deployment, but aren't the Maule flaps also spring loaded? I don't think they necessarly give you the degree of deployment you've selected until the plane is below a certain airspeed.

Correct me is I'm wrong... 8)

Personally I usually land with flaps at 24 gegrees. I do this so if I'm high I have flap in reserve, or if I'm low a little power will drag me in easier. Also it's a big advantage in the early stages of a go-around.

JMHO. :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Yes the flaps are spring loaded But if you look at the push rods they are very tiny and I know we have bent a couple sets on ours even with the spring pack. In my 180 hp I rarely used the 48 degree but in the 235 I use it all the time.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Thanks for the confirmation, Wup. Like I said I make sure I'm well within the white before pulling any flap, and I only go to flaps 40 when the plane is well slowed up.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

My plane only goes to 40. I think all nosegear Maules are the same.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

I use the 24 degree setting for cross wind. I found that the 48 degree setting pulls the tail up for a great 3 point. I will try wheel landings but it seems the tail drops, changes the angle of attack and I'm back in the air. :oops:

Has anyone taxied with the tail up in the MX7-180B?
Tom K.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

It's not easy to lift the tail on taxi in a 180 engine Maule since it's about 250 pounds unless you have a good headwind. You might be able to do it with a 235 engine and a bigger prop. Hard on your brakes, though.

The flap push rods aren't that big, so it's wise to apply full flaps at a low airspeed. That's 60 - 70 mph for me.

I use 24 degrees of flaps in a crosswind or strong headwind.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

With my 180 I had a larger prop and was able to lift the tail with a little effort and it can be done, hard on brakes , yes a little but replacement brake pads are less than $100 so I use them.

Kit # 11 from Maule will put the 48*'s of flaps in.....

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Hottshot wrote:With my 180 I had a larger prop and was able to lift the tail with a little effort and it can be done, hard on brakes , yes a little but replacement brake pads are less than $100 so I use them.

Do you know offhand how much the kit is and how hard it is to install? :D

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Mountain Doctor wrote:
Hottshot wrote:With my 180 I had a larger prop and was able to lift the tail with a little effort and it can be done, hard on brakes , yes a little but replacement brake pads are less than $100 so I use them.

Do you know offhand how much the kit is and how hard it is to install? :D

Takes me about 20 min if all goes well..... 2 hrs if not lol :roll: Will check on price... Looks to be about $45.00 for the ratchet PN# 3252-1

hmmmm Looks like the Tri gear only leagle with 40*
Last edited by Hottshot on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Kit is just the detent strap under the lower end of flap handle and if I remember right about $30-$40... Easy to put in as per SB which is available online at Maule's site. I agree with WUP, tail up in 180hp can be done with the longer prop, power, and some brakes until rolling pretty good.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.