Best Glide

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
kurttreftz

Best Glide

Post by kurttreftz »

Hello, I recently bought an M5 180C (Washington state.) I can't find specs on best glide. ?
Skagit Regional airport BVS

Crash Gordon

Best Glide

Post by Crash Gordon »

I have been going through the same thing with a new MXT-7-180A. Specs say 72k. We have experimented with other configurations and 72k seems Ok with 200-500fpm descent depending on OAT.
Jeff Gordon

"An Aviator's life may be full of ups and downs, but the only hard thing about flying is the ground."
Charles Kingsford Smith

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The M5-210C is pretty close to same thing weight wise and they call out 85 MPH, prop spinning and 80MPH with prop stopped. That's probably pretty close for all practical purposes? :shock:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

TomD
100+ Posts

Best glide

Post by TomD »

My M5-235C manual also shows 80 mph best glide.

I guess the 2.8 mph higher speed is for the drag from the longer M7 wing??

TD

Scott

Best glide

Post by Scott »

Hi Kurt we meet in Skagit a couple of weeks ago, you can find best glide using a gps and testing a couple of different speeds ( it will change slightly with different loads) start off with a speed between best angle and best rate of climb. example my mx7 has a best glide at 83 mph at gross and vx is 75 mph and vy is 90mph. keep in mind the your manual states that the prop doesn't wind mill below 70 (which is a good thing, producing less drag in a emergency landing) your climb speeds are the same as mine so 83 mph should be pretty close and since your manual states only to maintain airplane control you should be good.
Scott,
CFI, MX7-180A

kurttreftz

thanks!

Post by kurttreftz »

thank you one and all...and, Scott I will have to call you when I have more time. The answers gave me what I need and more. Also, looking at the images you all have of your Maules get me wondering about how expensive a new paint job would cost..... :) Kurt
Skagit Regional airport BVS

Scott

Painting your Maule

Post by Scott »

There has been lots of good post about this, one in the pilot lounge under Maule check out, it talks mostly about recovering vs repainting and you can find more if you do a search for the word paint. What I got out of most of the blogs is a repaint is heavy and not very cost effective. the best thing to do if the fabric is good is do touch up and repair until you are ready for new fabric. My blue and cream base is starting to show signs of age and I have research with the my mechanic and talked to the manufacturer of Airtech coatings and the are approved over the Randolph system so I will order some custom match paint or stock off their color chart if I can find one close and filler for some of the cracks and hit the bad spots for now.
Scott,
CFI, MX7-180A

Maule-igan

Post by Maule-igan »

Not anything official but I have found that in most cases a good way to find best glide for a plane..
Pull the power
Pull the prop
Ease the yoke back to the stop.
When your airspeed settles that is generally your best glide speed.
I know you are introducing a lot of drag with the elevator but it is very close every time.
When you look just over the cowl, you will see your landing point.

Try it and see what you think.
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa