Power settings for IO540 in M7

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Maximus

Power settings for IO540 in M7

Post by Maximus »

Where can I find the 65% and 75% power setting graphs for the IO540? Of course everyone says it should be in the POH but there's very little, if any information there. My next step after this was to pay for a Lycoming operators manual on line. I'm just sold my M4 and am learning my new M7 and loving it!
Check out my private strip on Google Earth at 45.49.57 N 76.45.44 W. Annual fly-in last week of July. Wheels & floats welcome.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You have to have a Lycoming Engine Operators Manual anyway so it is best to order it from Lycoming. About $40 and money very well spent.
There is a lot of information in it if you really want to know about your engine and how to efficiently operate it, plus make it last.
Every Maule is sent from the factory with one and the fact that so many used Maule transfers take place without it indicates that the first owners are hanging onto the manual.
Safe flying with the new to you M7.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Maximus

IO 540 Power Settings

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Jeremy, I will see if the previous owner stilll has the manual, if not I will get a new one. Another member suggested I could download one free on-line but I have not been able to find this link.
Check out my private strip on Google Earth at 45.49.57 N 76.45.44 W. Annual fly-in last week of July. Wheels & floats welcome.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The charts in the manual are hard to read at best. I called the help desk long ago and they sent me some spreadsheets indicating 65% and 75% power at different altitudes, corresponding fuel flows etc.
Surprisingly 22 squared for example is a different power level depending on altitude. I thought being the same manifold pressure and RPM, that the power output would be the same regardless of altitude, up to the point of course that you couldn't make 22" manifold pressure.
I'd root them up and send them to you, but unless your 540 is an IO-540W1A5D, they wouldn't do you any good.
There is a lot of valuable other data in the engine manual, I'm surprised it's not required to keep in the airplane along with your W&B and POH.

TomD
100+ Posts

Engine performance

Post by TomD »

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I would suggest you buy the manual direct from Lycoming as it's engine model specific whereas the Chief Manuals are not? You can order directly from the Lycoming help desk for about the same price...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

TomD
100+ Posts

Manuals

Post by TomD »

Actually the Chief manuals are engine specific:

The LYC 60297-10 is the current edition of "Operators Manual, for O-540, IO-540, HIO-540"

Click on the photo icon and it looks exactly like the one I got from Lycoming except it is a newer edition.

TD

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The recent manuals from Lycoming are larger format than the older pink books.
The graphs are much easier to read.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide