Personal flying max's (gusty wind / x-wind)

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Scott

Personal flying max's (gusty wind / x-wind)

Post by Scott »

What's your max? I like to hear what other Maule drivers of different skill levels find their max conditions for flight in windy /gusty conditions.
Last edited by Scott on Wed May 18, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott,
CFI, MX7-180A

UtahMaule
100+ Posts

Post by UtahMaule »

The key word is "personal".

I was out yesterday in 17 gusting 30 straight across the runway. I landed and took off into the wind though. I like to go fly in that stuff here at home, I think it is good practice for when you really need it one day.

Tapiola
Location: Baddeck, NS. Home of the first powered flight in Canada eh?

Re: Personal flying max's (gusty wind / x-wind)

Post by Tapiola »

Scott wrote:What's your max? I like to here what other Maule drivers of different skill levels find is the max conditions for flight in windy /gusty conditions.
Scott: Just got back from doing 16 hrs with Rick Geiger in Cut Bank MT. We just about covered the whole gamut of short field/soft field/hi wind/ x-wind/gusty wind etc. landings & TO's in his Maule M7 160. Final day I nailed a paced out <200ft landing on a 10ft wide x 800ft grass strip with 18G28kts x-wind at 60degrees. My own/home runway is 800ft!! Spend time with someone with thousands of hrs in a Maule, and you learn.....muchly!! Worth every penny!!
Chris.

Now have an IFR ticket in my IFR certified Maule on 29" tundra tyres! A truly go anywhere aircraft!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I don't know about crosswind but I got a measured 125' landing today. Of course that was with about a 20kt headwind! GPS said my touch down speed was 28kts!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I fly a Trigear so YMMV :P .

I have no issues with 15 kts direct crosswind and have landed with over 20kts direct crosswind no troubles. It is very windy where I live so I made it a point to deliberatly go up on windy days and travel to nearby airports with crosswind runways to specifically practive on the runway that was perpindicular to the wind.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843