TWIST AND TURN THROTTLE OR PUSH AND LOCK

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
jim kellums

TWIST AND TURN THROTTLE OR PUSH AND LOCK

Post by jim kellums »

Hi.All my time has been with the push and lock throttle,will I learn to like screw and twist type now used in the new Maules?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

It isn't as handy as the lever in the left hand like a Cub or Citabria but I like mine just fine and I think you will have little trouble adapting.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Just a variation on a theme. If you like you can ignore the twist function and just use it like a normal push/pull throttle. Just remember to depress the center button/lock.

Opinions vary but I like the twist function. I find it useful for (OCD) small power adjustments in cruise, taxi, and pattern/approach.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Throttle

Post by TomD »

I grab the back of the throttle knob between my index and middle finger and then I can depress the button w/ the heel of my palm.

This gives me a continuous throttle when I need it along with blisters on my fingers and palm.

TD

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

Do yourself a favor and throw it away! You can get a friction throttle directly from Maule.

DonMc
260BD

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Up until I flew the Maule I only flew with a friction throttle but like the fine-tuning a slight twist offers and can still push/pull as necessary. Just me though.

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

May not be completely legal, but I drilled and tapped a hole in the knob and installed a set screw to keep the button disengaged. Been flying that way for 17 years now with no problem. I keep a small allen wrench in the door pocket if I want to lock it in cruise.

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C