Landing the M4

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Mog
100+ Posts

Landing the M4

Post by Mog »

So, I have been working on my tail endorsement in my new to me M4. So far its been fun but frustrating cause I am not used to needing a rudder.

Aside from my lack of rudder skills, the worst part has been my landings (of course). I really feel that my instructor has me rolling out to early and I think we are to fast. Yeah, I know what your gonna say, no my instructor is not a maule guy but he is all I have at the moment.

Anyways, we are running about 75-80MPH on approach, and rolling out about 10ft AGL at around 65ish maybe. Then we are just sinking into the runway. This does not feel right to me. I want to roll and flare straight into the ground without waiting for her to sink. So I feel like we are either A- rolling out to early, or B- running to much airspeed both for approach and for touch down. Maybe its a bit of both. Does anybody have thoughts on airspeed in the M4 220c. We are going off what the PO told me as that has been slightly backed up by a few other internet comments.

Any thoughts etc are appreciated.

m5210guy

Post by m5210guy »

You are correct .In time after you have logged more hours in your maule you will be able to shorten those landings down quiet a bit .
As your instructor is not a Maule pilot , he may not feel comfortable landing closer to the edge and that is fine for now because you can practise and should practise on your own bringing it down slower and slower until you are comfortable with a 1.1 above stall and dropping it in where you want .Don't rush it , landing a Maule in all types of wind conditions and field conditions takes many hours to perfect .
If your Maule does not have the VG's installed yet , I would highly recomend them as they will drastically improve your landings and confidense .

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The only disadvantage of landing at higher airspeeds is that the airplane will float for quite a while. I find a dramatic difference in float at 60 mph vs. 70 mph. Most of my final approaches are at 60 mph.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

cfwzm

Landing the M4

Post by cfwzm »

I agree get the VGs. They will make a big difference. That approach speed sounds too fast to me. That was the approach speed I used with floats on my M4 and on wheels you can go a bit slower. I have far less wheel time than float time on the M4 but what I was taught was more like 70 for the approach, slowing to 60-65 over the fence. But then again, I had VGs so you might want to get those first :wink:
Good luck.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Steeper approach with slower speed.
Be ready to arrest sink at flare with power, if needed.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I would disagree.
Learn to fly the plane in the configuration it currently is in. Once you get the hang of the plane and time under your butt, then add the VG's, gap seal, whatever.
The speeds are a little high but safe. Learn the many combinations of configurations and get to know them well. Don't start putting mods on the plane right away. Use that money for gas. Alot of gas.
You won't be able appreciate what the changes are until you're comfortable and familar with the plane. You should be able to land this plane w/o reference to the ASI or tach once you are very familar with it. Once you get that point, start working in the area of reverse comand, short and steep and short strips.
Once proficient, you'll really enjoy what this little plane can do so easily. 8)
Live it like its your last day.

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

Why not spend a few hrs with your instructor doing slow flight and stalls,turns,decents etc in landing configuration. This way your instructor could learn without having to admit what he doesn't know while you learn what you need to know. Get comfortable where the plane stalls and you will be able to approach slower with safety and confidence. I have only one hr in an M4. My experience is with the MX7 180B and the M7 260. I do remember what a joy the M4 was to fly. Good Luck!

DonMc
N260BD

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

DonMc wrote:Why not spend a few hrs with your instructor doing slow flight and stalls,turns,decents etc in landing configuration. This way your instructor could learn without having to admit what he doesn't know while you learn what you need to know. Get comfortable where the plane stalls and you will be able to approach slower with safety and confidence. I have only one hr in an M4. My experience is with the MX7 180B and the M7 260. I do remember what a joy the M4 was to fly. Good Luck!

DonMc
N260BD
That has been the plan, but we haven't had the time yet. I suspect that will be our next flight or two. But I have made huge improvements since first flight.

As for mods, they will come in time, but I will learn her as she sits right now. First I need to redo the cowl and such.

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

All comments are very good advice. The other aspect of the slow flight is to find the actual stall speed and verify the accuracy of the air speed indicator. The numbers you find will help you gauge your airplane's airspeeds. I added the vg's in the middle of my training and it made a noticeable difference, a lot of bang for the buck. Enjoy your training.
1976 M5-235-C

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

donknee wrote: Enjoy your training.
I certainly will. All my recent time is in twins, and they are a different animal for sure.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If your 5 kts fast on final, you won't hurt anything, you'll just float a little. I assume at this stage your not going into real challenging strips.
If you 5 kts slow on final, you may break something, don't ask me how I know :oops:
If your slow on final, better take Jeremy's advice, arrest that excessive sink rate with power, this ain't a Cessna, there may not be enough elevator authority to stop the descent, power will save you though.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I approach at 65 -70 and over the fence at 55-60 with some power all the way to flair... seems to work and the stall light usually comes on just before the screech... :lol: Love My M4 :D
Iceman

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

KC
The stock M-4 220C starts to really develop some sink rate when you get it under approx. 60 MPH be ready with some power if you do! 80 downwind, 70 base, 65-60 thru flare are fair #s to work with in calm winds. Work each senario with its own needs. The mods add to improved low speed performance but as Kurt suggested, Learn with the stock plane first, then you can use your aqquired judgement to determine if those extra performance mods are for you.

vaughans

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

iceman wrote:I approach at 65 -70 and over the fence at 55-60 with some power all the way to flair... seems to work and the stall light usually comes on just before the screech... :lol: Love My M4 :D
but I should edit here... I have VG's and elevator gap seals..and of course patroler doors which of course do nothing to enhance performance but are fantastic...
Iceman