Fuel dip stick gauges?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
handyandy123

Fuel dip stick gauges?

Post by handyandy123 »

I was just wondering if there are any fuel dipstick gauges made for the Maules like they have for Cessnas? I know they are not pin point accurate, but would help give us an approximation of what we have in the tanks when we're flying with less than full tanks. What do you guys use if anything? Thanks!

TomD
100+ Posts

Fuel stick

Post by TomD »

Mine is a paint stirring stick from Home Depot.

Started w/ empty tanks and added 5 gal. at a time. Marked levels.

Left tank on one side of stick invert and right side on the other.

As Jeremy has mentioned before be sure to be consistent on either measuring to the top of the stringer or angle down to the bottom of the tank.

You can copy to another stick and keep a spare for $0 dollars. Low tech, but works.

TD

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Re: Fuel stick

Post by AndrewK »

TomD wrote:Low tech, but works.
"Low tech" just means less potential for failure. I use the same method, works great!

Another Maule pilot I know zip tied a piece of clear tubing to a 12 inch ruler and uses it just like the Cessna sticks you are referring to.

TomD
100+ Posts

dip sticks

Post by TomD »

I forgot to mention to use the long paint sticks.

Fishing the short ones out of the tank is a real pain in the butt. :oops:

offearth

Post by offearth »

Mine is a 1 inch dowel about 2 feet long. I couldn't see the fuel on the Paint stir stick very well. One end is for the main tanks and the other end is for the aux tanks.

handyandy123

Thanks

Post by handyandy123 »

Thanks guys! I'm in the Civil Air Patrol and we just got a MT-7-235 stationed at our base. I've been appointed the aviation maintenance officer but have no experieince with Maules. In fact, still waiting to get checked out in it..but there are no CFI's down here with Maule experience. I did go for a filght with an already checked out pilot and was quite impressed with runway performance! WOW.

TomD
100+ Posts

CFI

Post by TomD »

With the weather in Georgia today you could probably send Ray Maule an airline ticket to MIA and he would be happy to get some sun.

8)

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I took one of the clear "universal" Cessna type fuel gauges and matched it to the marks on the paint stick I made after I put my tanks back in. I then took the clear one, stuck it on the lathe and turned a groove at every 5 gallon mark. Add epoxy paint color of your choice and it makes an easily readable and accurate gauge. Far superior to the paint stick! [/code]
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I decided not to use the clear Cessna tube again after dropping it into the fuel tank because of cold weather and fumble fingers. It took me 3 hours and a lot of pain to get the stick back out. Now I use a 3 foot wooden dowel with painted marks. If you use the Cessna tube, I highly recommend a piece of string taped to it with one end looped around your hand.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'm also a CAP Maule pilot but no experience with the MT7-235, just the MX-7-180. Some maintenance items are similar between the models. Send me a PM if you need CAP specific info.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Sorry about the multiple posts. You can get a CAP checkout in your MT7-235 by using a FAA Designated Pilot Examiner or FAA Examiner who is tailwheel qualified. Then get a designated CAP check pilot to quiz you on the CAP-specific parts of the Form 5 pilot evaluation. Both the DPE and the CAP check pilot have to sign off on the CAPF 5 form. Most DPE's don't understand how to fill out this form, so you might want to identify your CAP check pilot first and have him/her call the DPE to discuss how to fill it out before your evaluation. The downside of this approach is that you'll have to pay the DPE, but Maule-qualified CAP check pilots are hard to come by. Send me a PM if you need more info.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

I have the plastic type. The universal. I put a metal clip on it so if I ever drop it a mechanics magnet will get it.

handyandy123

Thank you for your replies

Post by handyandy123 »

Just wanted to say thank you for all of the information. I dodn't know why, but the reply posts were not all sent to me. I haven't been on here in a month. Thank you..what a great group of people we have on here!.

Andy

Sam

Fuel

Post by Sam »

Hello,

I use the "universal! Fuelhawk and have made graphs to get accurate results (at least a good guess). If somebody is interested, I can mail the graphs.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Couple the dipstick with a note pad at the handy documenting every gallon in with the current reading of the hour meter. By the third or fourth fill up, you will have an average that you can use as a baseline. Whenever you get fuel, check your numbers. You can spot a desparity immediately. As far as I 'm concerned the fuel gauges take up useable space in the panel. :evil:
The hour meter method has been very reliable, nothing wrong with sticking the tanks, gets a little tough enroute though. :oops:
The irony is that the aux tank gauges have always been spot on. Go figure
Live it like its your last day.