Fuel dip stick gauges?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I just got the universal Fuelhawk, marked it as I filled the empty tanks, chucked it up in the lathe, turned new marks at the appropriate levels, filled the new marks with epoxy paint and viola! A custom fuel guage! Doesn't work well with gloves in the winter!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I don't remember if the new Fuelhawk has something to prevent it from being dropped into the tank, but it took me about 3 hours to get an old one out after doing that with numb hands in the winter. I've switched to a longer wooden dowel.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gear
100+ Posts

Re: Fuel stick

Post by gear »

TomD wrote:Left tank on one side of stick invert and right side on the other. TD
Tom - is there a difference between the left and right tanks??

garth
'78 M5-235C, Edo 2440's

TomD
100+ Posts

Tanks

Post by TomD »

Tom - is there a difference between the left and right tanks??
There shouldn't be but being a bit anal about these things I figured it would not hurt to mark them differently.

I just flip the stick over from the left to right.

It also makes it easier to read if the stick is still wet w/ fuel from the previous tank.

Tom

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

I just used a square dowel. One side White (main), back side Red (reserve) two other sides flat black to make it easy to read. Filled tanks one gal. at a time and took measurements with a ruler. Marked the sticks and printed the measurement in my checklist just in case I'm ever without a stick. I can easily find a ruler or tape.

Just what worked for me. :wink:
Tom K.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Tomkatz wrote:Marked the sticks and printed the measurement in my checklist just in case I'm ever without a stick. I can easily find a ruler or tape.

Just what worked for me. :wink:
Good thinking! I think I'll add that bit of info into my ever growing book.

Kirk