Taxiway takeoff

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Taxiway takeoff

Post by Lowflybye »

I was doing a bit of flying yesterday and had to make a fuel stop at Shelbyville airport which had current winds of 260 @ 17 gusts 21. Sporty enough winds when I have been flying regularly, but it had been nearly 4 months since I last danced with the Maule. I guess it was my hightened sense of attention due to not having flown it in a bit, but I greased a one wheel landing on 18 with the flaps up and right wing low. I held it on the right wheel until I lost enough speed for the left tire settle onto the runway followed by the tailwheel. With the landing completed, the taxi challenge became fun as the tail was acting like a sail in the gusty winds.

I spent a little over an hour on the ground visiting with some fiends and clients before it was time to depart. By this time the winds had kicked up to 260 @ 23 gusts 31. I told the lineboy that I would be departing accross 18 on taxiway Tango which would have me heading directly at the FBO but Tango is on a 250 heading. He gave me a funny look and I assured him that with these winds I would only need about 150 feet. I held short of 18 at Tango and did my runup followed by my radio call: N30822 crossing RWY 18 and departing West on taxiway Tango. Needless to say when I turned back towards the west to start the takeoff run there was a small crowd gathered outside the FBO to see this crazy pilot. I was airborne just after crossing the hold short line and was climbing on an elevator. I crossed over the FBO at nearly 500 feet above it...old man BD would have been proud. :lol:

Do what you gotta do to keep it straight...

Last edited by Lowflybye on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

or just spend the night there.... :D
Iceman

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I can relate, Lowflybye. Has anyone tried this at a towered airport? Will they go for it?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I have not, but have heard from some fellows who have...it depended on the controller in the tower and the airport rules. Some will not even allow you to land in the grass, much less a crossing taxiway. Too much liability on thier part if you screw it up.

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

I THINK YOU DID THE CORRECT THING. IF THIS WAS A CONTROLLED AIRPORT AND YOU HAD PERMISSION FROM THE TOWER, THEN IT IS ALSO COOL.
IF IT WAS AN UNCONTROLLED AIRPORT, I STILL THINK YOU DID THE RIGHT THING, BUT I WOULD BE HESITANT TO PUBLICIZE IT. I AM A LITTLE PARANOID ABOUT THE FUZZ.

FLYER
Flyer

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

andy wrote:I can relate, Lowflybye. Has anyone tried this at a towered airport? Will they go for it?
Yes, and usually no. I asked once to ask if I could land in the grass beside of rnwy 16 at my home field and was asked if I needed crash rescue. I told them there was no emergency, just wanted to land in the grass. The polite reply was that was not allowed.
I think you could stand your ground and get away with landing on a taxiway, because landings aren't optional, but take offs are optional.
I have read somewhere in some FAR, that you can't land or takeoff from a taxiway, unless you have permission from the airport manager.
I'll let one of you guys that are more familiar with the FAR's find that, it may even have been in the AIM, but I don't think so.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

As far as I know, there are no FAR's that prevent my actions...and the airport manager had no problem with it. We land & takeoff on a taxiway at both Sun-N-Fun as well as Oshkosh every year.

I guess they could try the dangerous & reckless clause on me, but I would argue that one...what I did was much safer with the given winds IMO. In the event of any engine problems all I had to do was make a 45 degree left turn and I had all the space I could need.

I had planned to use that taxiway to land as well in the event that I could not keep it tracking straight for 18...the only hitch in the gettyup for landing was another aircraft in the pattern in front of me and I did not want to add any confusion for him unless absolutely necessary.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Yeah, they can always bring up 91.13, no matter what. A guy flies his crop duster off and on the taxiway at an airport real close to here, but he is the airport manager .
I have been to both OSH and Sun-n-fun and landed on the taxiway.
Not sure about it not being OK or not. Google taxiway landing, apparently some Delta guy did that in ATL, I doubt intentionally.
When at the Maule fly-in in Montana a couple of years ago, we all landed on the taxiway because the wind was howling, they thought nothing of it. I believe it depends on where and who you are.
Many places they think nothing of landing an airplane on the road. Do it here, and I assure you the police are on their way.
I'm still trying to figure out why I can't land on a deserted beach, below the high tide line, but the Fl. State dept of aviation says if I do , they will put me in jail?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Just request "landing taxiway ###, at my own risk" and tower is usually receptive and if necessary explain reason why if xwinds too high on main rwy.... Tower or atc can not coach or otherwise suggest at your own risk and relieves airport of any liability....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

flyer wrote:I THINK YOU DID THE CORRECT THING. IF THIS WAS A CONTROLLED AIRPORT AND YOU HAD PERMISSION FROM THE TOWER, THEN IT IS ALSO COOL.
IF IT WAS AN UNCONTROLLED AIRPORT, I STILL THINK YOU DID THE RIGHT THING, BUT I WOULD BE HESITANT TO PUBLICIZE IT. I AM A LITTLE PARANOID ABOUT THE FUZZ.

FLYER
right and we all know, at least those of us who are on BCP about publicizing what we do... and the consequences... :shock:
Iceman

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

If ya come to KRNO you will only be allowed to land on a runway no matter what you say or ask. I have tried it all. Even being friends with a few of them has not helped that.

I see nothing wrong with what lowflye did. Sounds logical to me!

FYI if you need 25 in KRNO ask and when they say NO ask them where the NOTAM is that it is closed. Then they will give it to you. I have had to pull that one a few times in the winds.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

FLYER[/quote]right and we all know, at least those of us who are on BCP about publicizing what we do... and the consequences... :shock:[/quote]

Please share with the rest of the class? Maybe post a link to that thread??
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

crbnunit wrote:
iceman wrote:
flyer wrote: I STILL THINK YOU DID THE RIGHT THING, BUT I WOULD BE HESITANT TO PUBLICIZE IT. I AM A LITTLE PARANOID ABOUT THE FUZZ.

FLYER
right and we all know, at least those of us who are on BCP about publicizing what we do... and the consequences... :shock:
Please share with the rest of the class? Maybe post a link to that thread??
I do not think the thread is available to read any longer, but I may be wrong...suffice it to say that a certain pilot was contactd by the Feds concerning his actions after a forum member read the event that was shared with the class on the forum and deemed them careless and reckless activity that should be reported.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Yes, the Nanny State mentality extends easily into forums.
Butch knows of what he speaks.
Live it like its your last day.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Smart call. There would have been a bigger gathering of onlookers if you groundlooped it.

I've taken off on a taxiway for similar reasons in the past.

On a wide runway I've also taken off or landed diagonally to lessen crosswind component,
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843