Need advice from the M7-235C Pilots

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Russell461
100+ Posts

Need advice from the M7-235C Pilots

Post by Russell461 »

I have been trying to find all I can about the flight characteristics of the M7-235C and I haven't found that much..yet. I did find a nice Plane & Pilot Article written by Budd Davisson called "Luxury Bush Baby" and it almost described the plan I am purchasing to a T.

My home airport (2F7) is a 515' so I'm expecting quite a bit of power at my elevation. Have 16 hours or so this year in a M5-180C.

Any advice or additional resources you could point me to would be appreciated. I will tell you I am planning on picking up the plane in a week or so and then flying directly to Moultrie, GA to fly with Ray Maule but you can never be too prepared !

Thanks !!!

Russell A.

[/url]
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

How much TW time do you have? More importantly, how many TW landings do you have? If the answer is not many then I would not recommend flying that aircraft before you get some experience...even just to get it to Moultrie.

The M7-235 handles a bit different than the M5-180...the nose is heavier, more torque from the big engine, and you have the longer wing that floats a bit more with less roll rate than the M-5.

If you want a really good comparison then you should call Jeremy Ainsworth and be prepared to learn a lot of great information.

By the way...there are a good number of Maules in TX and I know of at least (2) M7-235 models...keep kicking the bushes and one will pop up.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

Thanks Lowflybye...

I have 100+ hours in tailwheel time, 16+ this year in the Maule M5-180C and probably 25+ landings in the Maule. I have made a deal on a M7-235C and will get a 1-hr check-ride with a Maule CFI (insurance purposes) when I pick it up.

I have a CFII friend with Maule time as well that will be co-piloting back home.

I'll give Jeremy a call.

Thank you.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I wouldn't even consider a flight to Moultre with only a one hour checkout in the 235 if I were you, based on times you mention? As a CFII with over 1000 hrs of Maule time now, I would highly suggest look up Jeremy or go to Moultre BEFORE you pick up your airplane and fly with Ray... That's my opinion anyway as I've seen many individuals who looked good to go in the Maule get into big trouble on the next landing... I would suuggest spend a few days with whoever you end up flying with, in a wide variety of wind and conditions doing as many landings as possible until you're consistent and comfortable in ALL conditions. If that 100hrs TW time in a 180HP Pacer, or Pitts, or some other short coupled high performance TW airplane, getting confortable will be rather quick. If time was in a Champ, or supercub, or other docile TW, it will take considerably longer... Not all TW airplanes equal, and the Maule tends to be rather unforgiving to cocky pilots who think they have mastered it's nuances?? It will very quickly teach you respect!! That's my two cents worth anyway...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

Thanks all for the advice. Sounds like I'll plan on spending more than 1 hour with the Maule CFII when I pick up the plane. How much different will the M7-235 perform/fly vs. the M5-180C I have been flying?

Russell
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

aero101 wrote:Not all TW airplanes equal, and the Maule tends to be rather unforgiving to cocky pilots who think they have mastered it's nuances?? It will very quickly teach you respect!! That's my two cents worth anyway...
I would have to agree...I would prefer to land the Stearman in a gusty crosswind than I would the Maule. Keep in mind that the Stearman is a blind landing and has a low wing to be wary of so that should tell you how much respect I give the Maule in windy conditions.

The longer wing models seem to be more suseptable to the wind but that may just be my perception.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The M7 is totally different in many respects, considerably more wing area with considerably more flap area with much more effective flaps, will fly slower, but sinks like a rock when it's done flying... The M5 with 180HP is probably better balanced and more responsive in some situations. As Low fly-by mentioned, I have more respect for the maule then Great Lakes biplane which flies from rear seat, no forward visibility, low lwr wings, etc, etc.. The M7 can sometimes surprise you most when you think you're safely on ground and done flying, and there's sometimes just not enough aileron authority at slower speeds. I have done many tailwheel endorsements in mine and generally takes about double the hours of something like citabria to become reasonably competent on all landing surfaces... Sounds like a nice M7 you're picking up, and would suggest error on the side of caution, but of course some pilots pick up neccesary skills quicker then others, and you know your limitations probably better then anyone else ...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Angloflyer

Post by Angloflyer »

Russell: You might want to give Dan Tannas a call and get a professional checkout in your own plane (http://tannaspilotcertification.com/). Dan came with me to pick up my '04 M-7-235B, checked me out, signed me off etc. Great value and unforgettable learning experience. I had zero time in a Maule and less than 100hrs TW. The 235 is a fabulous airplane but can be a handful to the inexperienced/unwary. I'd stick religiously by the Xwind numbers as it will quickly turn on takeoff and landing if you let it. Another thing to be careful of is letting the airspeed fall away on base/final turns with a tail/Xwind at at max weight, and especially with full tanks. I found that a cross control condition with a potential for stall and spin can easily develop - I presume, not helped by lack of aileron authority. Enjoy that plane and fly safe.
Garry

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

There are Maule instructors and then there are Maule instructors. I would highly recommend a conversation with Jeremy or better yet. . . have you and your instructorr take a ride with him before flying the M7 or training in it. There is text book technique and then there is the real world experience in something other than text book conditions you may one day find yourself in. The insurance rates are outrageous now. A few dollars spent seeking out Jeremy or someone he recommends will go along way towards "insuring" yourself against a claim. Good Luck and Enjoy

DonMc
260BD

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Russell461 wrote: How much different will the M7-235 perform/fly vs. the M5-180C I have been flying?

Russell
Mustang with a 6cyl and a Shelby with a 428 Cobra Jet

Cheers

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

lol

good analogy :lol:
M5-235

Russell461
100+ Posts

Really Good Article

Post by Russell461 »

50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

decent vintage article... but i disagree with this:
"Just as an aside: The Maule is a lousy slipping airplane"
not true at all. a full control slip with full flaps can make a hell of a descent rate. it gets you over 80' pines in good order, in my experience.
M5-235

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Lousy compared to what!? :shock:
It's actually fantastic at it. If you can fly one. My guess is that this author, like many others, tries to jump in a Maule and fly it like a Cessna or Cub or Luscombe, whatever. They don't. It takes time to wring the nuances out of this AC. Once understood, they are great. It just doesn't happen in a couple of hours. 8)
Live it like its your last day.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I read that same article a while back. Glad I'm not the only one that disagrees. My M-4 drops like a rock in a slip while remaining very controllable. I think the key is speed. If you are carrying a little extra, it is just going to fly sideways.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!