Need advice from the M7-235C Pilots

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

crbnunit wrote:I read that same article a while back. Glad I'm not the only one that disagrees.
I also think she slips just fine. Although, does the longer wing make much of a difference in slipping?

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Maybe I've gotten used to mine but I don't find a Maule anymore "tricky" on short final than anything else. I don't quite understand his "I need to use ailerons to get the inside wheel down after I've hit sideways and I can hear the wheels screeching" technique. How about just landing the plane straight. This article sounded a little like the blind leading the blind.

MikeW.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

The gentleman who owns that plane is one of my neighbor's. The only thing I can think of is that the Author wrote what he wanted to and ignored input from the owner, or, Frank was very new to the AC and hadn't wrung it out as yet. He has no problem with the tricky x-winds we get at our local field. He is a very capable pilot and handlees.
All in all, a less than enlightening article.
There was another article written a few years back in which Jeremy was the pilot. I don't recall the publication but it was very abbreviated. More infomative but short. As I recall, Jeremy was flying the red, white and blue M-7 260 he had as a demo for a while.
Live it like its your last day.

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

I remember the Bush Baby article. I don't think the author had much Maule experience. The part I would agree with is the part about how critical airspeed control is. There is a narrow window between floating and flopping on the ground. Here is where technique will come in. Getting the speed right and knowing when to add the power is something that only experience and practice will teach you. This changes with load and cg as in all airplanes. The Maule acts consistently and predicably once you get the numbers right for the weight, cg flap configuration you are working with. My Maule slips just fine. I rarely need to decend any steeper than a full flap just above stall approach in the "mush" mode holding throttle ready to add what power I need to stop decent, avoid stall or round out the flare. Trying to use aleron to get straight after the tires squeal because he was not straight sounds like too little to late to me. He needs to fly with Jeremy once and learn his mantra for short final."Hold the centerline(rudder) Kill the drift(aleron)" and get all that worked out before the tires touch.

DonMc
N260BD

Russell461
100+ Posts

Vernier issues?

Post by Russell461 »

Just wondering what your take is on the Vernier throttle vs. the standard push-pull? Does the Vernier limit quick throttle movement?

Would this be something you would recommend changing out to the push-pull?

Thanks,

Russell
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

I would DEFINETLY change to a friction throttle cable. I was advised to do this when my plane was new by experienced mountain flyers. Being Scottish, I resisted throwing away a brand new vernier cable. This cost me dearly.

DonMc
N260BD

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

When you get used to the vernier throttle, you'll be think about changing your Mooney's throttle. If you push with the palm of your hand, the first thing that happens is the button is pushed, unlocking the throttle. I though ti stupid at first, now I think any aircraft without one is stupid.

TomD
100+ Posts

Throttle

Post by TomD »

If you push with the palm of your hand
You can spot a Maul jockey that has been doing a lot of pattern or close terrain work by the circle imprinted on their right palm.

I have taken to taping my fingers where they sit on the back of the throttle knob when I am going to be doing a lot of practice that requires me to be on the throttle a lot.

Palming the button is second nature now.

TD