Shortest runway landing

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.

Shortest length runway in a Maule you've landed at.

Less than 500'
34%
500' to 1000'
53%
1000' to 1500'
11%
1500' to 2000'
3%
Greater than 2000'
No votes

Total votes: 76

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

On pavement I can get stopped just prior to the end of the numbers. How big are the numbers?

Not a Maule, but we landed the Ag planes on the race track paddock at the Savannah Westin Hotel. I's 1200 ft, and I ended up bringing both Thrushes in, The Airtractors went first before the wind got bad.
I got the T-34 stopped in 150 feet by using full reverse and smoking the tires as soon as anything touched, reverse drops the tail instantly, but with no airflow over the tail, the rudders no good, best rely on brakes.
Due to the real gusty cross wind, I didn't touch until the 600 ft. mark, so that why the reverse and brakes so hard.
I almost lost the GE when dragging it in slow, big wind gust dropped the left wing, and it took full aileron to get it up just prior to touchdown, so I came in a little hot on the T-34, hence touching down halfway

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

Man you guys should have come back to Reno. It is snowing again! I was told they changed the runway lights out to LED now so they really have no sense of humor about those things anymore :shock:
Last edited by jmtgt on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Next year is the Vegas Hilton without airplanes, year after will probably be Reno again.
Savannah was by far the biggest Convention they have ever had, and I can't get them to listen that it's because people are tired of Reno and Vegas.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

jmtgt wrote:Man you guys should have come back to Reno. It is snowing again! I was told they changed the runway lights out to LED now so they really have no sense of humor about those thinks anymore :shock:
I "got" at least one when we were taxiing back and forth and I couldn't seem much of anything.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

a64pilot wrote: I "got" at least one when we were taxiing back and forth and I couldn't seem much of anything.
LOL you "got" 3. The plow guys took the heat for them. One of them on duty that night when we were going back and forth in the blizzard is a friend of mine. He warned me about the new LED lights and ask not to have my buddy "got" any again :lol: 8)

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

OK, I only heard one, would you believe I could hear that damn thing pop when I ran over it? Thought it was the tire at first.
Three, you sure? I must be getting old :oops:

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

Well, back to the Maules. My former home was beside a 2700 foot runway. My hangar was built at my house and about a 1/4 mile taxi across an open field. To save the long taxi, I started mowing a strip down the center of the field at 980 feet. Made most takeoffs there and landing some of the time. Had 50 foot pines on the west end and a drainage ditch on the other. Never used more than half landing either way.

A buddy had a 900 foot strip by his house. North/south with road and power lines on the south and fence on the north end. I landed comfortably over the power lines and turned just past his hangar at 600 feet. Just me, my dog and half tanks.

My present strip is 1900 feet north/south with 175 foot tall woods on the north and open to the south, so landing to north is mandatory. Have landed with 14 knot direct tailwind and used about half.

My M5 210C will always get out shorter than it will land.

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Gene, a landing with a 14 knot tailwind in 1,000 ft? :shock: Bless you! I try to avoid landing with a tailwind at all costs not just because of the distance it adds but because I find the plane to be much more squirrely to handle. Of course both ends of my runway have tall trees so I have to use a steep descent to get in. I am sure that is not an advantage with a tailwind. :roll:
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

Hi Rod;

I will get the nerve to make the steep descent over the woods soon. Really no reason to not do it. Just leery of the big oaks and hickories. I really should make firewood and lumber from the biggest trees and clear a path through them. Only have a small plot of woods and hate to take out the trees.

I actually have about 300 feet overrun downhill across the lawn and into the hayfield if the hay is cut. I have apple trees on each side of the approach landing to the north right at the approach end and they really fly by when landing downwind.

Still need to get down to Grahams and see if I can land before the driveway and collect my hat. Gotta do that this spring.

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Learn to slip my son. The Slip, it's a beautiful thing. Impress the Spam Cans :shock:
Live it like its your last day.

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

Yep, been doing the slip for better part of 43 years. First airplane was a 1946 C120. Beautiful airplane for slips and spins. No flaps on that one.

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

Okay guys, I finally did it. I landed south over thr trees, slipped it right in and made the smoothest touchdown I have made in a long time. Hardly felt the wheels touch. Hardly used the brakes and had plenty room to turn in toward the hangar. Had about 7 knot 20 degree left cross wind.

Felt real good and I gave the airplane a loving pat. :D :D

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Maule M5 235 or 180

Post by John Ashcroft »

I am new here.
We live in South Australia and have a 1200' one way strip in the Adelaide Hills.
I currently keep a Beech Debonair there and fly in and out with not too much drama, lightly loaded.

I am considering a Maule something which may be able to fly in and out loaded. My question is whether a 180hp M5 would do the job or are the benefits of the 235 far greater.

Here is our strip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxfowlPm ... er&list=UL

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

John;

Watched your videos and saw your strip. Should be no problem with the 180 HP Maule. Constant speed prop is a plus. Start with lighter loads and work up to where you are comfortable. Typical ground roll with the 180 should be about 600 feet, takeoff and landing.. Don't know oyur location or weather conditions, but like any other machine, pay attention to density altitude.

You will have a little steeper climb out than the Bonanza and slower touchdown speed.

Haven't flown the 180, but always thought it was a great compromise of performance and economy, both maintenance and fuel economy.

Lots of Maule drivers operating with shorter strips.

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

The strip is 1200' but has a 60' downhill slope and is about 1250' AMSL.
thanks for the feedback. The Debonair only has the 225hp and as you can see operates well in ideal conditions.