Shortest runway landing

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.

Shortest length runway in a Maule you've landed at.

Less than 500'
34%
500' to 1000'
53%
1000' to 1500'
11%
1500' to 2000'
3%
Greater than 2000'
No votes

Total votes: 76

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

OK, I spent the summer getting more comfortable in the M-4. I can say with relative certainty that I can get it down and stopped in +/- 300' 90% of the time with or without a runway. That 10% still has me pretty cautions and I much prefer 600+ feet of usable space. Can't wait to put in more time with the short when things thaw out up here! I can also say that I have landed in a measured 50' without ending up on my back! Of course that was with a 25kt Knik headwind! 8)
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

M5-235 has no trouble on our 4,500 ft runway! We even have at least one tree within a mile of each end of the runway.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

86 ft at Gulkana (1600 msl) with 3knots wind. 30 gal fuel and 50lb in baggage.
24" Multipurpose tyres, 45 deg flaps.
1980 M5-235 with Hartzell 2 blade.
I knew I could'nt beat the empty Cubs in takeoff but beat them all plus a Helio in landing.
This was before all the mods were available. Most planes were pretty stock.
Last edited by maules.com on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

noe flightrisk

Post by noe flightrisk »

Jeremy-

That's very impressive! Inquiring minds want to know more about your technique.

usernameguy

Post by usernameguy »

78 ft. I think is my shortest. It was uphill, though It planed out quickly. 1200' DA. My buddy measured my tire marks later that day and called me. If it isn't the shortest it is in my top 5, I was heavy with camping gear, fuel, and a friend so it might not be, but it felt short. here is a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVwsufkm ... Huro8OY9op

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I used to use a rocky strip on Rumble Creek near Tanacross with total length 330 ft and another of 350ft up behind the Hula Hula river drainage. Took hunters in and out of them in M5-235.
There are also many cross runway landings in extreme wind but I don't think any of us count those because of the wind effect.
25 + knots will let you land anything in a few feet.
I used to do steep approaches, stalled, to bring forward motion of the mass to minimal speed, then near ground, a quick dab of nose down then blast of power with full up elevator NO trim. Timing was critical, so not advising you try it. Gear needs to be stout because you touch down brakes on. Tail hits before mains even with big tyres.
Tail had to be over the line at Gulkana, but only the mains at Valdez.
I was also infallible, immortal, and wore a cape in those days.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

noe flightrisk wrote:Jeremy-

That's very impressive! Inquiring minds want to know more about your technique.
Decades of experience in which the aircraft has become an extension of his own body...there is no substitute for experience.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

noe flightrisk

Post by noe flightrisk »

Uphill or lots of wind can make for short landings, but Jeremy's 86' sure got my attention. A typical 45 mph car takes 80' to stop at maximum breaking.

Landing a 2150 lb. M7-235 on pavement in calm wind with enough power that the pitch angle puts the tailwheel at what feels like a foot or two below the 800x6 mains, I can stay under 350' and sometimes stop in 300'. This with VGs and dumping two notches at touchdown. Using full back pressure, the tail stays down, only lifting when speed drops to 5-10 mph, so am I just being too tentative on the brakes?

I don't live in my airplane and am waaay past my immortality phase so I'll never achieve Jeremy's feat, but aspire to get much closer. Any suggestions?

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

I have a a 15 acre plot measuring 800'x800'. I'm considering a 822' grass strip with a 25' power line on one end and a 5' fence on the other end. Prevailing winds favor departure away from the power line and toward the short fenced end. Upwind landings would be over the power line. MX7-180B C/S prop. @900'asl.
Thoughts?
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

What would be the usual DA range, headwind, and weight in the plane? What engine?

Within the anemic end of the Maule spectrum (my 180 fixed pitch...) landing is not the problem, it's leaving.

Can you go diagonal? That would give a little over 1,100'.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

I can't go diagonal, someone built the house directly on that line. The other diagonal is crossed by an overhead power line to the house.
Basically the south half of the property is useless for an airplane.
DA is variable, field elevation is 900 asl but DA is mostly 3k-4k in the summer since it's far south Texas. Many 100 degree days and humidity. Its a 180hp airplane, I don't have new W/B yet from the rebuild but it looks like its going to come in around 1368 empty.
My plan is to fly the airplane, get to know the new 180hp CS configuration and see if I can learn to consistently land and take off in that distance and if it all works I can cut out a runway and park it at home. Or buy a few more acres from a neighbor.

See if this link works...

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1488654 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

My plan is to fly the airplane, get to know the new 180hp CS configuration

This is interesting. Did you convert to a CS from a FP?

Your plane is light, over 100 lbs lighter than mine.

I would think based on my experience that with two people half fuel minimal baggage at 4,000' DA and short dry grass with little to no headwind you would be at the short end of what I would consider safe. The CS will help. You'll have to experement. Preferable on longer grass strips in similar environmental conditions.

Landing won't be an issue. With good technique and a eye for a go-around if needed you'll be stopped in half that distance. Takeoff and climb is my concern.

Popping off the drag inducing grass into ground effect, accelerating until somewhere between 75-90 in ground effect, then pitch up to Vx would be the best technique, IMHO.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

BTW, I am on the conservative side when it comes to things like this. I recognize also not every takeoff or landing is done perfectly, we live in a world of unpredictable wind and up and down drafts, and that airplanes are expensive and fragile.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

Yes I'm converting a MX7-160 to a MX7-180 C/S