M4 210C vs M5 210C

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
cfwzm

M4 210C vs M5 210C

Post by cfwzm »

I fly an M4 210C mostly on floats. My floats are the CAP 2000. It performs excellently for me lightly loaded, and still pretty good at gross, although hot calm days do have their challenges.

I am wondering how similar or different the M5 210C would perform? Which floats?

northernguide. I know you got one last year. How was it? I know with our short props on that engine, climb can be a bit anemic. I figured out that it climbs better with loads at 70 then the usual cruise climb at 80.

Thanks,

Andy.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Speaking of props, you had asked me earlier about the McCauley 2A34C203/90DCA-10 that I did the field approval on for the 210HP M4 up here on floats? I finally got the prop on aircraft near end of season and it made a whole different animal out of the M4 on floats... He's on Aqua 2200's and gets off water now in about 400'- 500' with light to no wind, 70F, day... A little more at Max Gross. Guy liked performance so well, he kept his M4, and sold the M5 he owned.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

northern guide

Post by northern guide »

Hey guys, I have now run my M5 210c on floats for 2 seasons and find OK but could sure use that extra prop. My main problem isn't just being at full gross but if I have much weight at all in the back seat area I take forever to pop up onto step, I just can't get the nose down! I would love to put that C203 on here in Canada! I love my plane but need about 3000 feet of lake most times! Oh and I'm talking about @ 2500 lbs on EDO 2440's.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

There's no easy way for you to get this prop approved with transport canada other then a one time STC... It would pretty much be a no brainer for your version of the Designated Engineering Representative to do as there is data out there for an STC on Stinson engine conversion with same prop / same engine? Other then that you could sell acft on paper, do US Field approval, buy aircraft back, but paperwork involved in this would be prohibitive. Also Dave Wright down in Moultre, Ga has an STC for this prop in 76" length which he was talking about adding to 80-82" with FAA this winter. Not sure if he's making progress yet or not but he's worth contacting...

wrightaircraft@windstream.net
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

northern guide

Post by northern guide »

Thanks I hope David Wright gets the longer one built! That would be best for me I think.