Maule Doors

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Maule Doors

Post by Lowflybye »

If I understand correctly, a Maule can be legally flown with one of the front doors removed. I have heard from some others that they have flown with both front doors removed and had no problems. I have a friend with a M5 that has removed both front doors as well as the rear door and said he has not had any problems in that configuration either.

I like to take air to air photos and the idea of being able to remove the rear door is very apealing, but is it legal? I would also like to remove the 2 front doors and leave the rear one on during the summer, but is that legal?
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Check your flight manual carefully. There should be a section in there about flight approved with doors removed. In my manual it is towards the front and lays out which doors can be removed and the flight limititations that go along with that configuration. I know mine can be configured with the rear door off but check carefully regarding the front doors.

Mikew

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You can fly with one front door off or one or both rear doors off. If you fly with the forward rear door off only, then be sure to tape the baggage door catch so that an errant sleeve or camera strap etc cannot hook on it by mistake. The airplane will fly with both front doors off but if you return to land and there is a crosswind blowing, you will have crossflow air through the cabin and the root ends of the wings lift is severely compromised.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

easy?

Post by Sam Rutherford »

How easily do the doors come off/go on?

Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Two hinge nut/bolts/pins per door.
If flying with the right middle door off only, then Ductape over the baggage door knob to prevent a rear passenger sleave from catching on it and opening it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

same as other planes?

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Is the lateral air movement (through the cab if both doors off) different to the situation on other aircraft with doors off - ie Champ, Aeronca etc.?

Was just wondering!

Thanks, Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

As long as the Pilot's door is on and swing window closed then there is no lateral air movement.
If doors are set for lateral air movement, a crosswind landing or slip will be badly compromised.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

eeairshows

Post by eeairshows »

In regards to slips with both front doors off:

Is this a Maule idiosyncrasy? Because of the flaps? I've flown other side by side airplanes with both doors off and noticed no ill effects in any flight regime, including slips. However, none of the airplanes I slipped with both doors off had flaps, and none were Maules.

I'm in the market for an M4-C.... and I'm also a huge fan of door of summer evening flights so this is very interesting to me. I also wander if there are mods for swing up or down windows that can be opened in flight.

Thanks!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There are kits available to install swing up to the wing windows on the front doors.
If landing or taking off in any airplane, it is best to take advantage of maximum lift.
The fuselage acts as a ventral fin helping direct the air fore and aft across as much of the wing as possible for best lift.
In the case of a crosswind, air crossing through the cabin will compromise best lift at the wing roots.
A crosswind landing is a slip.
Maule's placard suggests removal of either front door, or removal of both rear doors which are on the same side.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I have had the back doors off for video and picts, we use the other Maule with the Seaplane doors to do the same just be sure you are below 120mph.... (I think)

Here is a shotr vid

http://www.vimeo.com/3696042

bluemaule

Post by bluemaule »

I fly with both front doors off regularly. It's great on a hot summer evening and makes for good pictures.

BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

Wup,

Nice footage you have inspired me to take the doors off next summer and get the camera rolling!
Nick Buzby
1985 M5-235C
Wasilla, AK
4th generation Alaskan, and proud.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Now Nick,
If you'd bother to fly when you come to Valdez, you could put that idea to some real purpose. Tsk tsk. :roll: :oops:
Live it like its your last day.

Maule of Romania

Post by Maule of Romania »

Flying with Maule without rear door, great !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWF6NhD5enM
or
http://www.vimeo.com/16209239

Calin

N949JH

Door off

Post by N949JH »

Make sure and vacume out the moose hair and fish scales before you try this or you'll find yourself IFR in the cockpit when all that stuff goes airborne from the unexpected breeze on takeoff.