First snow in the North

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Layne

First snow in the North

Post by Layne »

Well with the arrival of first snow, I debate what kinda ski? I fly a 2000 M7235C. Last year I drove all winter on my 31 AB's. It worked well for where I played. I have a chance to pick up a nice set of 3200's, with manual hydraulics, good skin, 1969 model. Question? What is a ball park $ for them? Has anyone done deep snow with trick air wheel penetrating skis? I know the best is straight ski, but I need the hard surface option too. Lastly, tail ski or no tail ski? Snow is variable from my lake front packed to endless depth. Oh, and I have two seasons here, winter for 8 months and summer for 4. Thanks!

TomD
100+ Posts

Maule

Post by TomD »

Welcome to the club!

Your seasons sound like the old saying in Vermont: "...eight months of summer and four months of poor sledding."

Personally, I prefer my frozen water in a tall glass cooling my beverage.

TD

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

fluidyne 3200's are a good ski. expect to pay $8-$10k for a complete set with hand pump and rigging. and dont forget another couple thousand for the first install- due to having to run hydraulic lines through the belly and mounting the pump, and welding the ski axles onto the gear legs.

fli-lite 3000's are another good choice. similar prices and install procedures. but they offer a little more floatation. but (despite their name) they are a little heavier.

tail ski---- can you walk to the back of your maule and lift the tail up right now? what about when its loaded? now put yourself in 3 feet (a meter?) of snow and try lifting that tail while you are waist deep and the plane is stuck. if you dont like the sound of these things- get a tail ski :)
M5-235

JDW

Post by JDW »

Layne
I got the Trickair skis late last spring so I don't have much time on them. Just been in 1 1/2 to 2 ft of snow seemed to do ok. It wasn't fresh snow.(New pilot first time on skis) The only thing I don't like about them is they take away 140 lbs. But when I took them off only took 10 minutes. I have the MX7180C so with your bigger engine you should be able to get off alot better than I can.

Should be putting them on in about a month or so. I have the tail ski just waiting to see how much snow we get this year to try it out? Good luck with what ever skis you get...

Layne

Post by Layne »

Thanks guys! That was the info I was looking for. See what kinda deal I can get on the 3200's. If not might have to go with the trick option.
And yes, be cautious when a Canadian gives you runway length, it maybe in meters.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Get the tail ski.
Hard water does belong in a cocktail glass (Year round... 8) )and the funnest flying and hardest work you will do will be on skis.
Get the tail ski.
Live it like its your last day.

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Re: Maule

Post by Skystrider »

TomD wrote:Welcome to the club!

Your seasons sound like the old saying in Vermont: "...eight months of summer and four months of poor sledding."

Personally, I prefer my frozen water in a tall glass cooling my beverage.

TD
Okay Tom, I have read this several times and are you sure that is "summer" and not "winter"? :lol:
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

TomD
100+ Posts

vermont

Post by TomD »

"summer" and not "winter"
You're right. Must have been dreaming of summer since we really did not have one in Seattle this year. My moss is growing moss!

Layne

Post by Layne »

OK. Went with the old Federals. Now I need to get all the paper and rigging info for the M7. Where is the best info found?

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

if you mean federal A2500A, then maule has the install drawings. dont even bother calling wipair (current owner of federal brand) for these. i got them from maule.
M5-235

Layne

Post by Layne »

UP-M5 wrote:if you mean federal A2500A, then maule has the install drawings. dont even bother calling wipair (current owner of federal brand) for these. i got them from maule.
Sounds good. I will call Brian. .? Federal 3200 hyd wheel ski...or am I looking at the wrong numbers?

Layne

Post by Layne »

Thanks UpM5. I Roger you reply now. Anyone got any used 3000 tricks airs for sale?