more dead in Alaska

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
akloon
100+ Posts

more dead in Alaska

Post by akloon »

We're going to break another record this year in Alaska. Numbers of people dead from small airplane crashes (23 this year if we don't find the 4 in the Beaver in Southwest). My real job is flying helicopter search and rescue for the Alaska Air Guard and we found a crash yesterday about a half hour after it happened. Two people in what was a PA-11 (we think). Classic stall crash.
Please be careful out there, I've seen enough bodies this year. There was a great article in the Alaska Airmen's magazine on causes of the 'moose stall'.
1995 M-7-235B

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Yes, very bad year and hunting season just getting started. Have they found the Beaver out of Katmai yet with the parks service passengers?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

I just checked in and they still haven't found them.
1995 M-7-235B

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Be interesting to see what kind of new regs the feds come up wtih after a year like this.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

I'm more worried about insurance premiums than what the feds will do. If we stopped crashing good airplanes we wouldn't have this problem though. What is strange to me is that all of the pilots that have crashed in the past 6 weeks or so that I knew or knew of were very well respected for their skill and judgement. It's humbling.
1995 M-7-235B

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yea, being a low time pilot, that got my attention as well. Alaska is a hostile place to fly.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Some of the guys on the 4x4 board I wheel with are on helicopter crews. Thought you guys might like to see photos of the Blackhawk recovery. This bird went down trying to rescue the folks stranded on the Knik Glacier when their plane crashed.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

There is a reason we used to call those things Lawn Darts.

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

Thanks for the photos! I spent a whole day trying to get through weather to get to the original crash victims. Then the next I went to Dillingham for that ordeal, spent all day Tuesday going down and back. As we landed in Anchorage I heard about the Army Guard rolling one over trying to do the same thing we were. I'm glad they weren't hurt!
1995 M-7-235B