Looking in N31875 - Maule MX-7-180B - to buy

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
StinsonRider

Looking in N31875 - Maule MX-7-180B - to buy

Post by StinsonRider »

Hi All,

My hanger looks very sad since I sold all my Stinson 108 stuff.......)-;
Looking in buying a Maule in the next few month..........................(-;

There is one, I'm looking in, which is for a few years for sell ......
which is making me a little nervous to approach.

Did everybody looked over this Maule in the past.....?
And when, what was you impression ?

I know that it got ground looped in the past and rebuild by Maule.

1996 N31875 TT 375 SMOH 25 SPOH 25
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."

Henry Ford

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:idea:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Post by Sam Rutherford »

14 years, just 375 hours???
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I bought mine 10 years ago, had 300 some odd hrs and was 6 years old, some people just don't fly much, and with those kind of hours would probably have been much cheaper to rent!! Been a great little airplane :lol: If maule did the repair, probably been done right? Sounds to me like maybe the guy scared himself and never got over it?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

gbab

Post by gbab »

Have you asked the Seller?

Has the aircraft been properly stored and cared for? If it has, whats the problem? I would much rather have fewer hours then more hours TT on any aircraft I was buying.

As for it being For Sale for a while, the economy took a nosedive after the last election which knocked the legs out from under the aircraft market and maybe the Seller is in a position where he does not have to give it away.
gbab

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

After you go over the aircraft with a fine tooth comb youself, if you're serious about it, I'd recommend that you pay an A&P with Maule experience to go over it like an annual. I was fortunate enough that I bought my MX-7-180 in Augusta, GA not too far from Maule Flight. I had the airplane flown down there and they went over it before I purchased it. Mine is a 1986 and had around 1242 hours TT when I bought it in 1998. I have some friends that bought a 1985 M-5-180 that only had about 300 hours on it. I think the prior owner had passed away and it was being sold by his wife, who didn't know anything about it, but I got the impression that he wasn't able to fly it for medical reasons.
Andy
1986 MX7-180