Stall descent technique

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Mr. Ed

Stall descent technique

Post by Mr. Ed »

Jeremy, I've seen you reference this technique several times on the forum. Several questions though: 1. My MX7-180C does not come down flat when stalled with flaps. Pronounced negative pitching moment at onset of stall. Do VG's make the difference to flatten it out? 2. I know it's all feel and seat of the pants stuff but at what approximate height do you "recover" from the stalled condition? Thanks.

Gene

VGs

Post by Gene »

VGs are the quintessential aftermarket improvement you can do for any Maule. The difference in stall characteristics is phenomenal. If I was allowed to make only one improvement to my Maule, it would be a set of VGs, hands down.

Gene

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

A quick entry here as it's late/early here in GA.
You want a controlled descent, so if she starts a little pitching, then relax the back pressure a bit, aim for a rate of about 650fpm but keep a load on your left bicep by not fully trimming elevater.
As Gene said re VG's
The height is enough to 'safely' recover with either airflow to regenerate lift across airfoil or power or both. Find some fluffy flat topped clouds to go practice on, but look beneath them first.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

maules.com wrote:. Find some fluffy flat topped clouds to go practice on, but look beneath them first.

Very wise words I say... 8)

So sounds like the dealer meating went well Jeremy the M9 is sounding better and better, I just wish it was an Oleo Gear :cry: Image

Mr. Ed Sorry, didn't mean to high jack the the thread here ya go you can use this one....

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I'll try to find that M9 diesel thread and comment there.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

How good is this, VG's for my Beechcraft $2,500.00 VG's for the Maule $700.00, that sounds like a good day at the market.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The key word here is STALL, you're pulling it back too much. You're looking for the regime just prior to the stall, where sink rate is high, but otherwise you're in control still a good ways from stalling? Best to practice way up high as Jeremy suggested until you get it figured out and also the arresting procedure with either power or dropping nose slightly for airspeed to get rid of sink rate prior to similated landing. Another method is to practice flying as slow as possible, maintaining 3pt touchdown attitude with slow rate (100FPM) of descent, another words dragging it onto runway with power. Again would practice at altitude first. I don't have VG's on mine, nor do I see a need as been my experience they get you a little aileron authority, and negligable difference in the stall (maybe a couple of MPH). I literally have to force mine to stall by getting AOA really high and chopping power?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.