Anybody traveling with a dog?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
rjb
100+ Posts

Anybody traveling with a dog?

Post by rjb »

Now that I am fufilling my fantasies flying a MX7-180C, I would
like to add a medium size dog (60lb) as a passenger.

Does anybody have experience, suggestions (crate, duration between
pit stops, hearing protection) they care to share?

Thanks,
N9951

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

If I knew how to post a picture.....
Yeah, I usually have at least one Lab with me at anytime. Usually a 55lb Yellow female, she loves flying. Recently, I've had to be careful as when I land on the lake(I'm on skis) the dogs know the sound of the plane and will run out to greet me. Not good! The other two do OK 'cause they know wherever we are going, there'll be some fun.
Several things to remember, the dog is always tied in the back as in the event of a sudden stop, the dog will continue forward and can do you some serious injury or worse. Make it a game & they will always enjoy the destination if not the flight. My two reluctant ones will readily get in to go but pant or circle during the flight. A reasuring pat every few minutes goes a long way to calming. Frequently, the harmonics will usually put them to sleep quickly. I've always trained my own dogs (Despite that, they're great dogs) and though each one is different, they all have enjoyed flight almost as much as I've enjoyed having one of my K9's with me. When we go to the cabin as a family, I make two trips; the first with my wife and the three labs, the second with two kids and groceries. Well worth the extra air time!
BTW, I have never woried too much about their hearing, they don't listen any better or worse anyway![/img]

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I have a Mini Aussie that travles with me sits next to me in the MX7 I am gunna get the Mut muffs for her I think 8)

I lock her in with the seat belt and a harness or of it is a long trip I will belt her in the bac so she has more room to streach out.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

my husky (siberian NOT aviat) goes with me on occation.
she was raised riding with me in my truck, so she is very comfortable in vehicles. she normally takes a look out the window when we take off and then lays down for the rest of the flight.
i only take her when i have a passenger that can hold her leash or settle her down if there is ever a problem. but there has never been any problems.
M5-235

mauleman

Post by mauleman »

Hi,
We have flown from Key West to the North West with our miniature Schnauzer. She is only 20 pounds. She does great. We have been in the air for over 5 hours with her. She mostly sleeps. She does not love the noise and we do have Muttmuffs for her. She would rather be with us then anywhere else so it works. When we are in cities we use a book for hotels. You can find out about it at www.dogfriendly.com.

Enjoy your new Jobe....Mauleman N10484
JOHN MILLER