Slips with Flaps

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Aerobatix

Slips with Flaps

Post by Aerobatix »

Are there any issues with performing slips when you have flaps lowered on the Maule? I'm fairly new to the Maule and I was always cautioned by instructors when flying 172's about potential loss of elevator effectiveness and blanketing from the flaps being lowered.

Is the issue different with each notch of flaps? I want to be become a GOOD Maule pilot so I'm looking for any and all tips and advice from all of you with lots of experience.

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Rob

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Hi Rob: I too will be waiting for Jeremy's answer. If you are a AOPA member they have some good articles on the subject. Here's a link. Cheers Rob Burson http://www.aopa.org/members/ftmag/artic ... ticle=4519

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There is no placard against slips with flaps that I'm aware of. I have been slipping with flaps since flying Maules with no detriments to this point. If you are using the maneouver to lose altitude it is often more advantagous to stall the plane with full flaps and it will descend at quite a steep angle, though in a flat attitude. Nearer the ground relax back pressure and regenerate working airflow over the wing for the flare.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will need to practice that one at altitude for a while before I'd try the "stall" method to lose altitude if I'm high and final. Still too low time to be comfortable with that method just yet. I'd really LOVE to get some dual time with a MAULE EXPERT PILOT who can really help me KNOW the limits of MY airplane.

Anyone know of instruction options with an expert in the low pwer MX-7-160 model that I am flying?

Thanks!

maulepilot

Post by maulepilot »

When I first started flying the airplane I often slipped with full flaps, but was making my approaches too fast, about 80mph. I also experienced bounces on wheel landings or eccessive float with subsequent go arounds because of the eccess air speed. Once I built up enough confidence to slow down more, the problems started to work themselves out. I now find it much easier and comfortable to passengers to slow on down to 60mph or a little less (not stalling) and let the airplane's rate of decent increase to reestablish a proper glide path. Once on glide power back up to about 70 on short final and bleed it off to 1.3VsO in the flair. Always be ready with the power because decelleration can become dangerous if not carefully monitored.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Aerobatix wrote:Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will need to practice that one at altitude for a while before I'd try the "stall" method to lose altitude if I'm high and final. Still too low time to be comfortable with that method just yet. I'd really LOVE to get some dual time with a MAULE EXPERT PILOT who can really help me KNOW the limits of MY airplane.

Anyone know of instruction options with an expert in the low pwer MX-7-160 model that I am flying?

Thanks!
Why don't you go to Moultrie?

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

My M-6 slips OK, old one with small rudder, but the little C-140 I just got feels as if it get's completly sideways. On my M-6 letting it get slow and steep works better than a slip, maybe because of the small rudder, but it can't be done as a last minute kind of thing like a slip can.
If you "stall" it down, make sure you know how to use your feet! Stall good, spin bad. :lol: