Power or Flaps first

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Power or Flaps first

Post by Maulehigh »

Following a normal take-off, which comes first? Reducing power or stowing the flaps?

I have tended to climb out on full power, stow the flaps at approx 300ft, reduce power to 25/25 to continue the climb and then reduce to 23/23 when at the desired height (noise abatement requirements notwithstanding).

This procedure has been questioned by some in the syndicate, who tend to reduce power prior to stowing flaps, again noise abatement requirements notwithstanding.

Advice on best practice would be appreciated.

Regards
David
'91 MX-7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I raise the flaps before reducing to climb power to keep the extra lift and clear all obstacles as quickly as possible.

Andy

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I typically follow:

Positive rate - Gear Up
Clear obstacles - Flaps Up
Pattern altitude - Throttle and prop reduced to climb setting

Of course in the Maule the first step is deleted, but this "checklist" works well in most any aircraft that I fly
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

cloud9sa

Post by cloud9sa »

Fun facts--FWIW, that is true for most RG planes, but you'd want to raise the flaps before the gear in a Skymaster (we also own a Skymaster in addition to our Maules). Tracy
M6-235 M7-235C

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Curious as to the reason for the flaps before gear on the Skymaster? Is it not the same basic gear system as is on the C-210?

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

cloud9sa

Post by cloud9sa »

Hi. Skymasters, especially heavier models that are pressurized and de-iced, are not very spritely on takeoff. When the gear is down, the gear doors are closed--therefore there is actually not much drag when the gear is down and when your airspeed is not very high. When the gear is raised, the gear doors must first open, during which time they act like giant air scoops and cause a lot of drag. When the gear is fully raised, the gear doors close again.

Some Skymaster owners remove the gear doors completely because of this.

Even with a light Skymaster (or 210), you don't want to raise the gear close to the runway because they move downwards and inwards before coming up into the belly. That has pulled some Sierra Hotel pilots into the runway.

Our technique is to raise the flaps at about 200', build up a bit more speed and climb rate, bring the props and m.p. a bit off red-line, then raise the gear at about 500'.

It ain't like a Maule (whoo-hoo!) but the Skymaster is great for IFR and long trips, and handles icing well. Because of in-line thrust, their performance on one engine is better than most other twins. Tracy.
M6-235 M7-235C

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I forgot that the main gear doors on the 337 are bigger and angled into the slipstream unlike the C-210...you have some major drag brakes built into that gear door system. I have around 250 hours in various C-210 models and cant figure out how a pilot could drag the gear on a C-210 or 337. If the belly of plane is 38 inches from the ground it will clear in transit. The drop distance in transit is less than 24 inches. You would have to be worm burning down the runway and overloaded with Dumb@$$ to drag the gear.

N9657

Post by N9657 »

For the M5 Liftoff at 60 mph, flaps up at 80, climbout at 90. This is if there are no obstructions.

Pilots aren't good cause their old their old cause their good.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

She will climb better with 0 flaps, most light airplanes will.
On an RG, I don't retract gear until the runway couldn't be made anymore if the engine quit. I assume the hurry and get the gear up comes from the twin crowd in case of an engine failure?

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

cloud9sa wrote:Fun facts--FWIW
FWIW?
David
'91 MX-7-180

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

N9657 wrote:For the M5 Liftoff at 60 mph, flaps up at 80, climbout at 90. This is if there are no obstructions.
N9657,

Thanks for the input, but it doesn't really address the question. I'm after a concensus as to best practice, raise flaps or reduce to climb power first after take-off.

From the replies received, it would appear that most people carry full power until after the flaps are raised, then reduce to climb power.

I guess it makes sense to use all the available power while there is still the drag of the flaps and then to accelerate to climb speed before reducing to climb power.

Does anyone have any other philosphy?

Kind regards
David
'91 MX-7-180

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Maulehigh wrote:
cloud9sa wrote:Fun facts--FWIW
FWIW?
For What Its Worth

Similar to: "my .02 worth" referring to putting in your 2 cents worth of opinion. :lol:

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

Lowflybye wrote:For What Its Worth

Similar to: "my .02 worth" referring to putting in your 2 cents worth of opinion. :lol:
Ta - I was trying to think Flaps, Wheels...then got stuck at 'I' :oops:
David
'91 MX-7-180

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

a64pilot wrote:She will climb better with 0 flaps, most light airplanes will.

Guess that depends on runway length and how tall the trees / hills are and definition of climb performance?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

aero101 wrote:
a64pilot wrote:She will climb better with 0 flaps, most light airplanes will.

Guess that depends on runway length and how tall the trees / hills are and definition of climb performance?
Flaps reduce the stall speed and allow for shorter takeoff roll, but also decrease the angle of climb due to the increase in drag....so you will be off the ground faster, but climb out at a lower angle when using flaps.

0 flaps will increase your takeoff roll, but also increase your climb angle once airborne due to the decreased drag.