Spin recovery

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Mauler

Spin recovery

Post by Mauler »

On another forum there is a rumour that there was once this guy who got his Maule into a spin that he couldn't recover from. Only a few feet above the ground, he pushed the door open and thus recovered to tell the tale.

Has anyone heard this story? Are there any Maule spin stories? I've never tried it myself!
M5-210TC

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Well,
It's not spin certified, in fact I believe it's placarded against spins.
Ya think there may be a reason for that?
BTW, I wouldn't snap roll or loop one either :lol:
And I think if flown inverted, the engine may quit and oil run out all over the place.
Opened the door and saved it? :shock: I wouldn't want to bet on that, but more importantly please tell me who it was because I want to ensure I never get in an airplane with that guy. :lol:

belandd
100+ Posts

Spin

Post by belandd »

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

right up there with all of the other bar room stories I have heard about wild flying.

Sorry, I am not putting you down, it is just that I keep hearing these things as if there were a shred of truth in them.

I see by your avatar that you have the Bert Reynolds land and get beer movie with the Maule.

It made me laugh.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

I flew with a crop duster in an M7 235 once that did aleron rolls either direction. This was in the L A basin in broad daylight! Talk about big uh Tires!

DonMc
260BD

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I have heard that an MX7-180 will do aileron rolls rather nicely, but the fellow never said if he had ever spun one. I don't think he wants to try that one to give me a report. :wink:
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

This guy that did the aileron rolls, I assume he had a lot of neg. elevator in when inverted, or it would have dropped out on him? :wink:

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Actually he said he started out of a slight dive to 140 mph and pulled the nose up till his heels were on the horizon, stopped the climb and pulled the yoke hard over just releasing back pressure over the top to maintain 1 G. He said he had to add a little top rudder on the back side and ended about 10 degrees nose low with wings level.

From what he described it sounds a lot like rolling a Stearman or low hp Citabria. :lol:

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Hogy59

Post by Hogy59 »

Heard the roll rate might be a little slow, though.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

That's not really an aileron roll, but in fact is a barrel roll. The true aileron roll is impossible to maintain a positive 'g' when inverted.. You can pretty much barrel roll any aircraft carrying positive 'g' all the way thru maneuver with no undue stress on aircraft. I'd be real hesitant to spin a maule due to short arm / lack of rudder area on tail and speaking from experience in an airplane certified to spin, it's rather disconcerting after you've input correctional control in a spin and it keeps going round and round until you do control inputs not in the manual, but taught by very experienced aerobatic instructor as last resort. And some acft are just not going to recover from a stabilized spin unless they've got a drag parachute installed.... That's why test pilots make good $$$$...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

aero101 wrote:That's not really an aileron roll, but in fact is a barrel roll. The true aileron roll is impossible to maintain a positive 'g' when inverted.. You can pretty much barrel roll any aircraft carrying positive 'g' all the way thru maneuver with no undue stress on aircraft.
I think you are confusing an aileron roll and a slow roll. Positive g in an aileron roll is possible and when done correctly is a 1 g maneuver ergo Bob Hoover pouring tea while rolling the aircraft. The barrel roll combines a loop and roll maneuvering around a point at about 45 degrees off the nose and looks like a corkscrew whereas the aileron roll rotates around the axis of the aircraft on a parabolic arc.

IAC Figures - http://www.iac.org/begin/figures.html
Barrel Roll - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLo0byBfmJI
Aileron Roll - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3npdfuBUE

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

You are right in your discription of a properly executed barrel roll, but that can be slightly modified by applying top rudder as you come over and out of maneuver keeping yourself lined with the axis of the airplane instead of allowing the turn with constant rudder in direction of roll as in barrel roll. Otherwise same exact procedure as a barrel roll... I've always considered any aileron roll to require positive forward stick while inverted with nose slightly above horizon, and that translates in neg 'G' because you don't pull the nose up nearly to the attitude of the barrel roll? Just a matter of definition I guess... Call it whatever, they can all be fun in the right conditions! :oops:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Your right, its all fun... :lol:

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Mauler,
I sent you a private message, did you get it? I wanted to tell you 210TC is up for sale. david@landshort.com

Mauler

Post by Mauler »

210TC wrote:Mauler,
I sent you a private message, did you get it? I wanted to tell you 210TC is up for sale. david@landshort.com
When I reply, this site platzes. Will email you now. Would be a lot of interest on this side of the big pond.
M5-210TC

maulekid

spin

Post by maulekid »

still did not hear any one admit to spinning one!!!!