Taxiing in crosswind

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
RobBurson
100+ Posts

Taxiing in crosswind

Post by RobBurson »

Hello fellow Maule pilots. I have a question. I have a M7 235C with the wide spring gear. How much crosswind can I taxi in with out being tipped over? I have had it in 23G27Kts no problem. My instructor who has been flying out of KTTD for 50 years thinks 30Kts is pushing it. He has limited time with Maules and is comparing my M7 to other tailwheel aircraft. KTTD is at the West End of the Columbia River Gorge, and it blows hard a lot. It is straight down the runway so take off and landing is no problem. I just don’t want to get tipped trying to get to the runway. What say you Jeremy? Cheers…Rob

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If the ailerons and elevator are in the correct position taxiing into the wind and the wind increases, then let the tail up to hold a wheel landing position, with neg. flaps it should not lift off the ground as you have a fan to balance with the headwind to blow air to wherever you want the height of the tail to be.
If taxiing crosswind with aileron in correct position, then move judiciously and your rudder's ability to hold position will decide when you can't go on, and if the tail starts around, let it slowly weathervane again changing appropriate position of aileron and elevator. Occasionally you will move along with a series of loop turns on the ground, or call for human help. In Goodland Kansas I've had a crew come out and fasten 2x4s on wing top as I sat with tail in the air and running about 1200rpm and brakes on. Wind was down runway at 35 max 60mph gusts and I only had an hour gas left and this was the only headwind runway in the area. Be sure the helpers are aviation people and respect the prop. If no radio, with the right signals a spokesperson will come behind the wing/prop to talk to you. If taxiing downwind, then ailerons appropriate, elevator down and 0deg flaps, or 24deg in a trigear, and move slowly.
Windspeeds in numbers are a rough indicater only, as it can change constantly according to what ever ground barriers shift its direction, or venturi intensifies its speed. Do what you are comfy with, not what a test pilot is comfy with.
By the way for those who read the placard ; "Demonstrated crosswind is 14mph", that is NOT a limit, merely what the FAA requires the manufacturer to prove. Pilot skill and rudder/prop blast/aileron authority is the limit.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

I experienced a very windy episode in Lethbridge Alberta. And I was concerned because I was beyond my experience level for ground handling. The CFI at the FBO said the best advice he could give me is keep both feet on the brakes and be ready to catch the weathervaning tendancy before it gets started. And of course as Jeremy comments above -7 flaps if you got em and alerons upwind wing down.[/i]
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E

Mauler

Post by Mauler »

Eerrr. Maules are excellent crosswind performers. But if you can't handle taxiing it in the wind, don't think you can fly it in those conditions - duuuuhh!

C'mon guys. Don't make a request for advice into a pissing contest.

The best advice I can offer is this: Incrementally develop your skills to achieve where you want to be. Know your own skill limits. Stay within them. Do not believe that owning a Maule will automatically place you in the realm of the testiclularly super-advantaged. And above all, have fun and stay alive!

[edit]

Sorry Jeremy, I only now noticed your pilot/test pilot comments. The comments you made are right. I can only agree with you.
M5-210TC

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

That's ok Mauler, I know you'd rather be flying than wrenching but you did a good job only bending metal and no bones.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide