performance charts?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
cj8vet

performance charts?

Post by cj8vet »

Is there a source of performance charts for my plane? mxt-180
ie t/o landing distances,climbrate etc at higher Den.altitude? 1 pilot told me he bought a C-172sp or xp? POH and figures his mxt-180 can outdo the cessna so that is his fudge factor. Comments?
thanks for being patient with me
mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

No performance figures produced by Maule.
Performance is directly related to the pilot flying that day and her/his skill. So best to make your own, which is very easy to do with a tape measure and a marker. Measure load, temp, altitude, wind and distances that you can take off and land in with your plane producing the thrust it actually has. Much superior to a test pilots figures at optimum conditions.
Relying on your own skill level is far more realistic and safe and is a tremendous learning experiance and besides you will know your limits thus eliminating accidents.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Thanks Jeremy. BUT after I do this at 1600-5000ft w/ different weights etc-how do I extrapolate it for planning purposes to a DA of 10,000-12,000ft? I know I can atleast go up to 10-12K and set the plane up at Vy/Vx and ck out climbrates but what about runway lengths?
thanks for being patient with a rookie
mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You could take Lori McNichols mountain flying course in your own plane and you will work up acurate figures for yourself in a real situation. Barring that maybe she would sell you her manual with all it's computations and 'rules of thumb'.
There is also a rules of thumb aviation handbook published which will tell you most of what you need. It gives % change for uphill/downhill, knots head/tailwind effects combined with ground roll, % hp loss per altitude change, ground roll increase/decrease relative to gross wt. change etc. These rules work the same for most light planes as long as you have one parameter measured to your skill and the planes performance at a known alt, temp, gwt and distance.
For instance ;
3.5%hp loss per 1000ft DA increase adds 8% takeoff distance.
1% grade is 10% effective runway length.
10% gwt increase is 20% takeoff distance and 10% landing distance.
Reduce gwt by 2.85% for each 1000ft DA increase for = hp effect.
2 kts tailwind = 10% longer takeoff or landing.
9kts headwind = 10% shorter ground roll in takeoff or landing.
1% hp loss per each 10degF higher temp.
Total hp minus excess hp = hp for level flight at VY with no climb.
Excess hp x (33000/gross wt) = ROC VY.
VY ROC x gross wt/33000 = excess hp.

Now don't anybody trust or quote me on the above, work it out for yourself and try it in increments. I got it off the grapevine.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide