Question for the Alaskans (+)

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Question for the Alaskans (+)

Post by Sam Rutherford »

I'm looking to fly down to the alps this winter, into an altiport (Meribel), and get a weekend skiing.

My one shot at the Hollywood lifestyle! :lol:

My question is, how do I get my skis (me, not the plane!) down there?

Thanks! Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

worzel

Post by worzel »

sam

I assume you have the specific rating ?

I'm not sure you can just drop in these days.
M5-235 G-OJGT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Skis fit in the plane under the seats.
If running the skis up under the front seats, don't hit the fuel lines.
If you have very long skis, remove the rear baggage bulkhead cover (2 screws) and extend into the rear, replace cover and place your sleeping bag across the gap. Pad under the skis so no abrasion with the metalwork.
Tie the skis so they cannot slide rearward.
If transporting airplane skis, they too can fit inside but rear seat has to go.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Going to do my check-out 'on arrival'!

That's the plan, at least!

Thanks for the advice Jeremy!

Safe flights, Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you are using straight skis (not retract or penetration) on the plane I made up a couple of small pieces of wood a bit thicker than the brake rotors, so when you remove the wheels (Good to have Maules late style Wheel Nuts and Lock Spring) you don't have to disconnect the calipers and rebleed brakes later. After removing the inner brake pad to remove wheel, clamp the piece of wood between pad and piston when you bolt the pad back on caliper. Tie wrap or wire or duct tape so it is secure.
I used a 6ft or longer length of wood or pipe and a fulcrum block to jack the gear up under the bottom oleo bolt. I had someone stand on the long end or if alone, hooked it under the car bumper.
Wheels to skis in 10mins per side.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Flyin'Dutch'

Post by Flyin'Dutch' »

Sam

If you know all the below just ignore it as I certainly don't want to come across as trying to teach granny to suck eggs!

You can not just fly up to Meribel. It is one of the official French Altiports for which you will require to have had additional training and a sign off before you can operate into and out of there.

If you don't have that you will be uninsured and more than likely be made a bit less than welcome.

To operate in the French Alpes and fly into and out of the Altiports and Altisurfaces you need to either have achieved the Qualification Montagne or at least have a sign off.s

The latter is not particularly difficult to get as you only have to fly with an instructor into the particular Altiport you want to get signed off for until he/she is happy with your performance. A sign off is valid for 6 months.

The QM is a bit more of an involved affair as you will be taken to a multitude of altiports and the even more fun altisurfaces which are basically unimproved strips or fields of varying degrees of challenge. For most people they tell me that it is about 20-25 hours followed by a flight test.

After that you are free to come and go as you wish.

The process has to be done for either wheels or skis and if you want the other you have to go through the same process once more.

They reckon that skis are easier than wheels but I don't have enough experience to say whether skis is easier.

I have been a couple of times to do some work towards the QM and was awaiting (with some trepidation) the tests twice but was weathered off on both occasions.

Have learned an awful lot about flying by going a few times now and it has to be said that this to me totally new discipline has improved my flying into small strips has been improved without any doubt.

Have only met the folks at Meribel once and they seemed very kind and helpful (I usually go in the spring and early autumn and there is not a lot going on flying wise those times of the year)

Been flying from Megeve which is the biggest Alpine flying club in France and love going there. For a variety of reasons not been able to go this year but all being well will go back again in the spring of 2010.

When you go you will have a great time for sure.

I took FT once and it was wonderful, I normally Easy it to Geneva and then a quick drive down to Megeve. Their Jodel aircraft are a delight to fly in the Alps and there is no additional charge for flying with an instructor when you are a club member and hire their aeroplanes.
Previously M5-235C GBVFT
FAA CPL/IR AME CAA PPL

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Thanks for that. I have done a little research...

The plan is to fly into Albertville, meet up with my instructor and then begin the training by flying Albertville-Meribel with him.

Then to complete the training in between skiing (obviously!?).

Thanks for the confirmation of my research so far!

Safe flights, Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Post by Sam Rutherford »

However, I have only now been told that the piste is snow-covered until well into May! So, skis on the plane?! But I need to fit them before a take off from tarmac.

Hm - watch out for a post on Mods...!

Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com