Towing Gliders

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
bp31973

Towing Gliders

Post by bp31973 »

Hi All; Just new to the Maule, getting a checkout in a M5-210C. I plan to tow gliders with it. I'm used to using an L-19, and with that we have a set let down procedure to control engine cooling. After release 2000rpm, 30deg flaps, and descend @ 80mph until CHT has dropped 20deg from release temp or one min. After that its rpm decreases in 200 increments and no more than 90mph.

The Maule going to be faster, any advice?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Somewhere in my archives there is a description and picture of a Maule towing 'two' gliders across Australia. I think it was an M5-210C.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

TomD
100+ Posts

Glider tow

Post by TomD »

I think one of these outfits at Arlington, WA (KAWO) use a Maule as a tow plane or used to:

Evergreen Soaring 425-238-6617
Northwest Eagle Soaring 425-235-1610

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

I'm thinking about power settings for towing and cooling issues. I have found that the performance section of the operators manual from a Skyhawk XP is very helpful for power settings.

On the topic of cooling. If you set your fuel pump low pressure on the low end of the 7-9 pounds of unmetered pressure, you will have more fuel flow in the non-full throttle positions. Pouring the fuel to it seems to be the best way to keep the CHT and oil temp down. Also make sure that the gauge cluster is grounded to the frame so you get accurate readings.

Good Luck.
1975 Maule M5-210C

flyseneca

Post by flyseneca »

The CAP purchased 15 Muaule MT7-235s to tow gliders. I doubt you will find the performance as good as an L-19 (I have towed in both), but it is good. Cooling was identified as a major problem by the CAP and Maule equipped all of their aircraft with the float plane cooling scoop. This really did not help much.

The solution was the installation of a JPI electronic monitor. This alarmed when excessive CHT cooling was encountered, and clearly showed that in many cases where the cheap analog oil temp gauge was red lining the actual oil temperature was comfortably in the green.

I strongly suggest you check out the Maule Tost hardware for possible tow package. The Tost release is far superior--and far safer for the tow pilot.

Let us know how you like towing with your M5.

Skip Guimond
Skip Guimond

David T

Post by David T »

flyseneca is exactly on target. I have an ex-CAP MT 7 235 and it does/did pretty well as a glider tow. It has the cowl scoop and the engine monitor. The cyl head and oil temp cluster gauges read higher than the actual temps the JPI indicates. I'm not using it for towing anymore and have taken the TOST hardware out and will sell it pretty cheap if anyone can use it. I don't know if it'll work on a M5 though.

David