New Maule MT-7-260 Landing HELP

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
jawalt

New Maule MT-7-260 Landing HELP

Post by jawalt »

We just got N719WM home to Austin ,Texas. It is a 2006 with 125 hours and like brand new. My wife wants to finish her pilot training and enjoy landing at our ranch in South Texas and our home in Colorado. I am IFR rated with 2,200 hours with over 1k hours in our Cirrus SR22.

Now the Maule news, I have done more go-arounds trying to squeak a landing than in my whole flying career. Abeam the touch down point 1600 RPM & Prop full RPM: 80 knots half flaps; base leg full flaps and 70-75 knots; final 65-70 knots; fly down runway and here comes GROUND effect and up about 3-6 feet nose up attitude and then "the bounce". I have tried with a little power and also chopping the power.

I have lost my mojo, HELP!

Jim Awalt
N987AA SR22
N719WM MT-7-260 W/VG's

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

too fast.

try short final around 60 mph if you are alone. and when that gets comfy you should be able to slow her up a little more.
M5-235

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TK Nashville

Post by TK Nashville »

Earlier response was right... too fast..

Even a C-182 will bounce and porpoise if forced onto the runway with too much airspeed. C-182s usually prop strike about the third bounce...

My M7 tailwheel AC stops flying at about 45 knots... if I try to force it onto the tarmac at 60 knots... or 70 knots (where the twin comanche that I was used to quit flying) it just doesnt work... i.e. when there is lift on the wings due to airspeed, brakes don't work... they will flat-spot tires, but they wont stop you... find a 5000' runway and fly your normal approach then see how long you can float at 1' above the pavement... you'll have to go that slow anyway to get back on the ground eventually...

jawalt

Post by jawalt »

I agree the final approach is too fast. This is also my first post and wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

I will take the advice and fly the approach until she will not fly anymore and overall slow down.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Nashville has it right till it clicks for you. I see you have a MT model but one other thing you need to know is your Maule likes rudder. When you start flying wind (or turns just in general) you will notice the wing turns and will handel better if you use rudder with the aileron. To many pilots don't know its back there or are half afraid to use it.
In a strong crosswind the wing will want to fly before the ailerons are ready to do much so remember that rudder is back there to help fly the wing.
Same thing goes for landing also. As the ailerons start to lose it and the plane is getting real slow help the ailerons with rudder.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Important item. Don't use much elevator trim, 3/8" on the marker to the screw. Use a little muscle. If you trim elevator you throw away a very useful tool especially if you lose lift from wind change. A fully trimmed 540ci Maule with just front occupants has almost no elevator travel remaining to flair, plus if you have to do a full power go-around a tremendous effort is required to push the yoke forward to prevent a stall attitude.
Wing down into the crosswind and attempt to land on the upwind wheel only, then let the other one down and finally the nosewheel down lowering the flap lever at the same time all the way to -7deg.
You'll be stopped in 250ft without sliding a tyre.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

mxt180

Post by mxt180 »

I took delivery of my MXT-7-180 in December and after flying 172s almost exclusively the Maule took some getting used to. I have the 4 cyl up front so it may be a little different, but the bottom falls out at 60 knots. I'm over the fence at 65, flare and cut the throttle - she comes right down. I twist the throttle (not push) for finess to smooth out the landing. Get on the brakes and 250 feet is do-able. What helped me the most was doing pattern work at a local field with a 6000'x100' paved strip - over and over again. I don't worry so much about downwind and base, 65 over the fence is all you need to know.

Flyin'Dutch'

Post by Flyin'Dutch' »

Jim

Go up and do some full stalls so you know what the IAS is at stall.

Then multiply by 1.3 and you will have the correct approach speed for your Maule in the configuration and load on that day.

When you get to the aiming point cut the power round out and flare and you will be rewarded with an ace landing.

I often have a minor bounce, they feel worse than they are when looking from the outside.

With the VGs and the effective rudder you have plenty of control authority to cushion and 'bounce' and if it does not go according to plan you just hit the 'get me out of trouble button' aka the throttle on these powerful beasts.

Have a great time refining the art of landing the Maule.

Think that the combo Maule & SR22 is about as good as it gets!

:D
Previously M5-235C GBVFT
FAA CPL/IR AME CAA PPL

belandd
100+ Posts

Mule Landing

Post by belandd »

Have you installed the elevator gap seal?

Doing that totally changed my landings and made them much more controlable.

And any one can instll it. Just heavy duty tape.

Call Bryan at Maule and ask him about it. He can send you the kit with full instructions.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

I also had trouble landing the maule when I first bought my plane. I would take everything said into consideration, as far as technique and landing speed go. My two cents which I'm sure everyone else will agree apon is don't forget to DUMP THE FLAPS! I agree with the others when they say you are coming in too fast but even with those speeds a proper timed dumping of the flaps will have you stuck to the ground like glue. These short wing SOBS wont fly with out flaps and if you want down just dump em. Just make sure you aren't going to want to go around.
Nick Buzby
1985 M5-235C
Wasilla, AK
4th generation Alaskan, and proud.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think maybe we are mixing up years and models here. His 260, I don't think has short wings, and pretty darn sure new Maules come with elevator gap seals.
My opinion is you need to go on a trip, take the airplane to wherever the heck Jeremy is at and buy a couple of days instruction, maybe more, maybe less, just whatever it takes. Maules are different, the techniques that work for other airplanes, don't work for Maules. I've never flown a nose dragger Maule, I won't comment, but you need to buy some Maule specific instruction before your making an insurance claim. Not saying your extremely competent, but as you have found out Maules are different.

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

I agree with A64.

If you want to learn about your Maule, get with Jeremy whatever it costs.

He is the Maule Guru. He knows more about Maules and how to fly them than anyone. You will be safer for it.

flyer
Flyer

flyseneca

Post by flyseneca »

I own an MX7-180B and often fly a CAP MT7-235 tow plane. As a CAP instructor I have found that the MX7 does take a bit of getting used to. First problem is always the excessive approach speed and the reluctance to use full (40) flaps.

Pilots with tail dragger experience do much better than tri-gear folks. The reason is that the MT series likes to land just like its tail dragger breathern. If you use a tail dragger attitude you will do far better. The picture through the wind screen will have you touch down nose wheel first if you hold what I call a Cessna attitude. This is how all of the CAP incidents seem to have taken place. Nose wheel contact first--bounce--botched recovery--prop strick on the 3rd attempt.

Find a high time Maule CFI and go fly in your machine. It does take some time--but you will love it.

Skip Guimond
Skip Guimond

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Flyseneca is exactly right... I own an MX7 and did a little instruction with an individual that bought an MT7, get it slowed down as you come over the numbers, get the nose up almost to a Tail Dragger 3pt attitude, hold it a foot off the ground until it quits flying and settles onto the runway. The whole trick in landing it nicely is all about attitude, can't land it flat like a Cessna!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.