Spin recovery

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
a64pilot
100+ Posts

Re: Pitts

Post by a64pilot »

SkyMindy wrote:The Pitts S-2B was a factory certified airplane with current annual.
I stand corrected, but any small aircraft that you can't hold the wings less than a 15 degree angle of bank in a full stall is by FAR definition, unairworthy.
Unless of course there is some kind of exemption for the S2

Terry

Post by Terry »

Have not tried to spin a Maule and probably will not. Other, spin approved, airplanes I have had (Stearman, Pitts S1, Giles 202) would all recover from spins, blue side up or inverted, without any pilot input other than power to idle. Feet flat on the floor and hands in my lap. Takes a little longer than with pilot input, but comes out and then just recover from the ensuing dive. Would bet that if properly rigged, certificated airplanes, including Maules, with CG within limits, auger in, it is because recovery was started too low or the pilot inadvertantly held it in the spin.
TR
2003 M7 235C

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Even with the CG well forward of aft, the Maule will recover from a spin, but not quickly enough to meet FAA standards. That's enough for me not to do it. Too many aircraft out there that are certified to spin to risk my license and possibly more by spinning an aircraft not certified to do so.

Terry

Post by Terry »

"Even with the CG well forward of aft, the Maule will recover from a spin." I'll take your word for that.

RE: "Even with the CG well forward of aft," with regard spins, forward is a plus for faster recovery. Aft of aft would be a problem.

RE: "Too many aircraft out there that are certified to spin to risk my license and possibly more by spinning an aircraft not certified to do so." As the kids say, "Duh!"
TR
2003 M7 235C

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Terry wrote:"Even with the CG well forward of aft, the Maule will recover from a spin." I'll take your word for that.

RE: "Even with the CG well forward of aft," with regard spins, forward is a plus for faster recovery. Aft of aft would be a problem.

RE: "Too many aircraft out there that are certified to spin to risk my license and possibly more by spinning an aircraft not certified to do so." As the kids say, "Duh!"

It has been spun and recovered. The well forward of aft comment was a little mis-worded. I know the more forward, the easier the recovery, so I assumed they started the test flights with a well forward CG, they aren't stupid you know. Plenty of aircraft certified in both the normal and utility category have different CG limits for each category.
The license comment was to try to strengthen the argument that there is NO good reason to spin a Maule, ever.