Swing out window

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Ernie

Swing out window

Post by Ernie »

Does anyone fly routinely with the swing out window open? I know the book says it's ok for flight under 120 MPH, but I notice a lot of buffeting of the window and locking mechanism when in flight. (I have the old style with the sliding arm and knurled locking arrangement)

Has anyone seen premature wear/cracking in either the window, frame or support components that could be atributed to flying with the window open?

Ernie

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

I fly with the swing out (new style) windows open occasionally. I guess
I have done so between 10 and 20 hours over the last 2 years. I haven't
noticed any premature wear/cracking.

-Dick

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

No probs here, just spent another 1.8hrs this weekend with it open.... 8)

Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Thanks guys. That's good to know. I'll be flying with the window open this weekend :)

Jet-A

Post by Jet-A »

I fly for hours on end with the window open for my aerial photography. I also have the MP @ 17" with 2200 RPM to give me about a 90 mph cruise @ about 8.5 gph leaned out about 50 deg rich of peak.
CFII, ATP
Citation X Captain
XOJET

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have the old style windows on my 1986 MX-7-180 and fly with them open pretty often in the summer for photography. Haven't noticed any cracking or wear but I lost a window latch once because the screw was loose and the wind blew it and the latch off. Check the tightness of the screw before you open the window and fly around 94 mph IAS for engine cooling and less wind force. It goes without saying that you have to hang onto the window if you open it in flight. Otherwise it will slam against the underside of the wing. I usually open the window on one side only to prevent cross-drafts that can blow things out of the cabin and alter crosswind performance. Jeremy posted a message about the dangers off flying with the front doors off in a recent thread:

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... =rear+door

There's not as much air flow with both front windows open, but it still has the potential to alter the lift at the wing roots in a crosswind.

Andy

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I also have the Gas strut upgrade, DO IT !!!! much better system.