engine out techniques

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

Thanks Kirk. I just did a BFR and on the engine out portion I made the mistake of slipping on base rather than final and wouldn't have made the runway. Just shows the importance of practice, practice, oh...and then rember what you practiced I hope I don't do that again!
1976 M5-235-C

jsavage3

Flying technique

Post by jsavage3 »

sojorrn, my techniques closely align with your input -- stabilized approach, precise A/S control, pitch controls A/S, power controls approach path, etc.

My M-5 with 40 degree flaps feels real solid at 70 mph once lined up on final with about 65 mph crossing the threshold. Watch out for the sink -- it can catch you unaware if, once you're too slow, you delay the throttle. My initial aimpoint is usually slightly short of my intended touchdown point -- maybe a 100-150 feet or so. Once I'm approaching my aimpoint, I shift my focus to the planned touchdown point and once in the flare, my attention shifts further down the runway (much like where your eyes are when driving your car). Spot landings are quite easy once one masters the timing of pulling the power to idle.

Consistency in the approach path/speed/power is key and then deal with changing conditions as required.

I always land 3-point. The deck angle (pitch attitude) of my Maule (with VGs & gap-seals) is just too great once in the flare to even think about a wheel landing. Of course, I could increase my airspeed and solve that "problem", but that would defeat the purpose.

Aileron use is critical during both the takeoff and especially the landing. Yes, the VGs are worth their weight in gold regarding this issue. Other than the rudder & brakes, aileron use is the best defense against the dreaded ground-loop. One needs to always find themselves automatically turning the yoke into the wind. Using the ailerons/rudder/brakes all in conjunction with eachother, well, I've found the M5 to be quite docile -- not tempermental at all, in my opinion. It's just a great all around airplane that requires one to fly it, not drive it.
Jim Savage
1979 M5-235C

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Jim.
Temper mental may be the wrong adjective but sink is something to be super aware of when flying my Maule. I used to over come it with speed but now like you addressed it can be done with ailerons and finesse when you have VG's and gap seals!
Although the topic is power out landings learning the stabilized approach can add to handling the aircraft without power.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT