Rudder Trim

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
brokenaero
100+ Posts

Rudder Trim

Post by brokenaero »

Hey Maule dudes and dudetts.
Got a question on the rudder lock trim thingey. I had a guy fly his maule MX7 over to have me look at for purchase. When he parked the rudder trim was at a full right deflection. I quized him on this and he didn't exactly know how it worked. Guess I don't either, hence the question. When it was released and shifted side to side the yoke rolled right to left. Enlighten anyone?
Thanks,
Clueless in Branson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

vaughans

Rudder trim

Post by vaughans »

There is a Aileron-Rudder trim interconnect, when you roll in aileron it changes position of the rudder trim. The T handle on the panel is connected to the rudder petal with a spring on it, I set mine in high power cruise to center the ball & lock it & forget about it, other's may use their's more often. When you first start flying a Maule this interconnect will bug you a bit but you soon get use to it.

Vaughans :wink:

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

It is easier to call the tab on the rudder the"Servo tab". You have no control of it. It follows your aileron input as Vaughens writes.
Rudder trim is totally separate and requires your input via the T handle.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

brokenaero
100+ Posts

rudder trim

Post by brokenaero »

Ok then should the "T" handle be locked or unlocked and should it be at full deflection? And when I moved the servo/tab back and forth with the "T" handle unlocked, it rolled the the yoke right to left. But the question seems to be with this being that far deflected (it was locked on landing) is it properly rigged and wouldn't that much deflection cause some yaw and drag? Is this the same as a rudder trim on a Mooney, Cessna or Cherokee 180 etc.?
Again, thanks to all.
Ya'll are the best!
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

vaughans

Servo tab

Post by vaughans »

The servo tab has cables attached that run up and attach to the aileron cables via clamps near the zippers in the headliner by the wing roots & is suppose to deflect with aileron input. The T handle just assists right rudder tension so it doesn't feel like it takes so much rudder pressure at high P factor such as during the takeoff phase & once you have it set to where you like it you probally won't adjust it much. With the aileron interconnect it will move the servo with aileron input aleviating ruder input in cruise. At normal cruising speed unlock the T handle and pull it lightly while adding right rudder to center the ball and lock it, You will probally leave it right there unless you have an extended climbout and your right foot gets tired of adding pressure to the right peddle, then you might want to readjust for this phase of flight.

Vaughans :wink:

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Your Maintainance manual shows the correct rigging angles for all surfaces and these were checked at last annual of course.
To reiterate, the servo tab on the rudder is driven by aileron input only.
It has Nothing to do with the rudder trim.
The T handle pulls a cable that pulls a bungee spring which pulls a bellcrank attached to the right rudder pedal which takes some of the forces from your right foot pressure.
I usually set the T handle at the position that aids level flight at cruise speed with normal load so that it requires just the resting of my foot on the right pedal to stay on track. Then i never touch it again. by having just a touch of right foot input, I automatically sence if I'm drifting off course by the changing pressure under my foot.
The same goes for elevater pressures in landing, by keeping a positive load on my left arm, I know if the plane has changed speed by the changed load, so no need to use the ASI.
The T handle cable should be adjusted so that with the handle fully in, the spring has no load on it, then set as needed.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

As Jeremy mentions, set the 'T' handle in flight to center the ball and trim the airplane which should have the handle pulled out a small amount and lock it. Then on the ground center the ailerons, center the rudder, you should have little to no servo tab trim showing... Then if you want to see how it works, if you raise the TW off the ground, deflect the aileron fully in either direction and watch the aileron / rudder / servo tab work together... I think it's been installed to help adverse yaw for those who fly with their feet on the floor, probably the FAA during certification?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

MauleWaco wrote:I would like to do away with the rudder servo completely? I can use my feet and brain and it would make things easy on R/R.
It can happen.... via 337

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The first six M7s built 1984 had no servo tab but instead had a bungee spring intertie between aileron and rudder instead. I believe C210 and maybe Bonanza have something similar.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

brokenaero
100+ Posts

rudder trim

Post by brokenaero »

Well aviators, after all you good people took the time to "splain" the servo setup..........I understand the whole thing. Sorry the fog was so thick at first. I kinda agree with MauleWaco. Sounds like something to unhook and just have a well, properly rigged airplane with out lazy feet. But having a blistering 1/2 hr of Maule time.......I probably should save my opinions for a more seasoned time in my Maule life. (hopefully soon)
Thnx to all, and this forum. Ur the best.
BTW where was the 09' Maule gatherings? And who's crystal ball has the 10' avapalooza?

Lovin life...........GM

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

2009 gathering was intermingled with the BCPers and some also joined the SCubers the week before. Both at JC in Idaho, sort of a cushy place with showers etc. No plans yet for 2010. I'm likely gone from June 22 into July.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

There is talk of a possible event in Kentucky. I very much look forward to such an event.
Tom K.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Hottshot wrote:
MauleWaco wrote:I would like to do away with the rudder servo completely? I can use my feet and brain and it would make things easy on R/R.
It can happen.... via 337
Anything can in theory be done via 337, and I'm sure Wup, youv'e done it, but I assume you have a good working relationship with your PI and a more lax FISDO. I can tell you I would never be able to float a flight control mod like that through my FISDO without spending a lot of money with a DER.