Johnson Creek Fly In Videos, Photos, Reports Etc.

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Johnson Creek Fly In Videos, Photos, Reports Etc.

Post by SkyMaule »

Thought I'd start a new thread so it didnt take so long to get to the newer stuff. Here is a little video we put together.

http://vimeo.com/5515364
1975 Maule M5-210C

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Great video, I enjoyed it very much!
Tom K.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

Great video Mark.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Mark/ Kitty,
Fantastic job! I really liked the color and the music.
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Nice one Mark and Kitty... Good Job.... :D
Iceman

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

TURN THE VOLUME UP! ++++++

BCP/MAULE FLY IN
POT LUCK VIDEO

http://www.vimeo.com/5557126
1975 Maule M5-210C

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

Great video. Did not know you had such a thing for Jeremy!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of the best I have seen yet!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I'm a pilot, so it could'nt be my fault.
I was coerced into it, whatever I said.
It was probably my sidekick's doing anyway.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

marymac

more photos..

Post by marymac »

Here is a link to my photos: http://brokenidontthinkso.com/flying_photos.html
and videos: http://brokenidontthinkso.com/flying_videos.html

I had a great time meeting everyone and am excited for next time!

ComputerAndPhotoGuy
100+ Posts

Post by ComputerAndPhotoGuy »

My compliments to all three. Enjoyed them. You did a great job.
Although not yet known on this site (my ex-wife is in Idaho), I have an extensive photography background.
Former student of people like Ansel Adams, Robin Perry, etc.
Former internationally known commercial and fine-arts photographer.
Former very active member of the American Society of Magazine Photographers.
Also done things like be in charge of all the Army’s photography, film making, video making, and processing in the Pacific.
Etc.
Currently make most of my income from management and computer consulting.
Dave

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Last year I attended the McCall Mountain and Canyon flying course. Some of you might remember. Upon completion I realized that I was not ready for a SOLO to any strip in Idaho. So I went home and started practicing and asking questions.
It was a difficult decision because I wanted to go to the Maule Flyin and meet as many Maule owners as possible.
This year I have documented my obsession to meet my goal of going to the Maule flyin.
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly- My hope is you will all enjoy the journey.
Keep flying

http://vimeo.com/5764040
Last edited by Green Hornet on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

ComputerAndPhotoGuy
100+ Posts

Post by ComputerAndPhotoGuy »

One always needs to learn (and it is fun), but I have mixed emotions about many flying schools. Can one learn more by just flying with experienced friends at less cost and also have fun?
Which of the mountain flying schools are best and are they good for my experience?
Learned to fly with an old bush pilot at the Ft. Eustis VA Flying Club. As part of my training requested mountain experience. Instructor and myself flew from Ft Eustis to Blackwater Falls, W. VA and the city beyond. On the trip back Harry, my instructor, rolled over in his seat, told me to get us home, and went to sleep. As a student pilot got us home.
Then went to Ft Irwin (National Training Center) in California. Used to fly in the Sierra Nevada's and to places like Big Bear. Also flew from Santa Fe, NM to Yermo, CA at night VFR.
Going to Ft Shafter, Hawaii, used to rent planes from the Barbaras Point Navel Air Station. Had to avoid the cables on the runway that were used for practice aircraft carrier landings.
Back stateside at Dugway Proving Grounds in Utah, rented planes from Hill Air Force Base. Long cross country was to fly VFR from Hill Air Force Base to Monument Valley to Santa Fe to Tinker Air Force Base to Orlando Florida and back. At Tinker almost got ran over by two F-16s. Was No. 1 for landing and they were 2 and 3. I could not go fast enough and they could not go slow enough. Later had to buy them a drink.
Also rented planes from places like the grass strip Red Stuart Field northeast of Cincinnati.
Have over 1,000 hours and several hundred hours in tail draggers.
Would I benefit from any of the schools or would it be better to continue to learn from fellow pilots?
If school, recommended school and why?
Dave Wapinski

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

ComputerAndPhotoGuy wrote:
Would I benefit from any of the schools or would it be better to continue to learn from fellow pilots?
If school, recommended school and why?
Dave Wapinski
http://www.mountaincanyonflying.com/browser_help.html

It is all relative and nobody knows you better than you! The school is not cheap but the instructors ( min of 5) have a vast amount of experience. However some learn better from one instructor without the formal school environment. Although teaching IMHO is a gift not all are endowed with.
For me I learned a lot about navigation in Canyons, the correct way to cross a pass, canyon emergency turn, and most important how to read a strip and plan a flight to the back country.
I think the people who live in the backcountry have a great advantage over those who do this only in the summer because it takes time to build on your experience and confidence.
Ever year there are a bunch of airplane wrecks and some casualties so get some training. The training no matter how you do it or where you get it improves the odds of a successful adventure. Complacency is a self fulfilling prophecy in Canyons and Mountains with very nasty results.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

TomD
100+ Posts

Mtn flying

Post by TomD »

Dave Wapinski
Dave;

IMHO, there is no such thing as too much learning.

This goes double when you plan to fly at high density altitudes in constricted spaces.

Dropping a plane into a 5800 x 75 runway with wide open missed approach opportunities is just not the same as a 2000 x 30 strip w/ a curved approach and no go around.

If you feel that you are too advanced to go to a school, check w/ local pilots for the name of a good mountain flying instructor that teaches in the areas you are planning to fly.

You will determine your own allowable pucker factor fairly quickly and probably become a better pilot.

Stepping off soapbox at this time.

TD

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Dave I'm not gonna give any advice here only tell you what I would do if I had to do it all over again and know what I know now... I fly a Maule....I would get on a phone and call Jeremy or a flight instructor who flies Maules and hire him to teach me everything he can about flying my Own Maule... There's no substitute for experience and they have done it all. You can go to a bunch of schools in Idaho and they will show you the approach to this strip and that strip but if you don't know and are able to fly your plane like it's been strapped to your ass all y our life then you only know the approaches and what the strips look like...I don't know what you fly but that's about all I can say on how I would do it all over if I had to.... :D
Iceman