Alaska Flyins - Valdez

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

its this weekend. it looks like there will be a few of us going. anyone else want to join in?
M5-235

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

Man, I'd love to. Just a little too far! :wink:
1975 Maule M5-210C

belandd
100+ Posts

valdez

Post by belandd »

I will be there tomorrow

Duane
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

fairbanksflyer

Post by fairbanksflyer »

I plan on going if the weather looks good. Might only be able to stay for a day, probably Saturday. Right now the weather looks pretty crappy and the long term doesn't look any better. Had a good time at the Aviation Show in Anchorage last weekend...didn't win the Husky!!

belandd
100+ Posts

Valdez

Post by belandd »

Bummer

I didn't win it either.

See you there
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... pe=WEATHER
What!? That's almost tropical for Valdez!
We did a little practicing at Wasilla last evening and Chet suggested that those that are wanting go over together should meet over at Wasilla about noon on Friday. Cheap fuel to top off with and plenty of room.
So far, I believe that there's at least four of us going over together. Any takers? :lol:
Live it like its your last day.

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

I have never been to Alaska. Tell me about "breakup" and flying. Is this slush, snow, or mud?

fairbanksflyer

Post by fairbanksflyer »

We had a great BreakUp here in Fairbanks. Lots of warm weather and wind to take the moisture away. It's petty much dry around town right now. There's still some snow around, especially north of here and in the shade of the trees. Our favorite bear baiting spot, Indian Mountain, will have snow till almost the end of the month or at least enough ground moisture to keep us from landing.
As far as the Valdez trip, I'm a big fan of weather cams...I have all of the Cams that are active on my route. The Valdez cam looks pretty good, as does the Potato Point, but the West view of Johnstone Point looks pretty hairy.
Johstone Point Cam
http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.p ... k=66XBYLVA
Valdez Cam
http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.p ... k=68NBYLP7
Potato Point Cam
http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.p ... k=67DBYLP7

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

So what are you saying FF? Do we see you there?

"I have never been to Alaska. Tell me about "breakup" and flying. Is this slush, snow, or mud?"

Yes to all of the above! May = Mud we have things like "Breakup Boots" Last Sunday we had a party for the ice going out and the first plane on the lake (Floats not skis) I imagine there'll more than one party for the leaves that popped yesterday too. Spring is now ramping up to full tilt staying light to 10:30 and hitting the 60's. People go a little buggy (They're out too) and try to cram as much life as possible into the few months we have. Last year we got ripped, two days that hit 70, few Kings and lots of rain. This year is hopefully a good sight better!
Any time you decide to get up this way, drop a line. I've had a couple of people come over that I've met here and they've all turned out to be great folks.

fairbanksflyer

Post by fairbanksflyer »

Weather permitting from Fairbanks, I'll be there. There are also some CAP members that are planning to head down Friday. I'll be leaving on Saturday morning...early!!

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

WOW!!!

A huge pat on the back for the AK Maule boys!!
Chet Ryan and Kurt Kicked ASS!!!!!

my hat is off to you guys! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Thanks Wup!
We had a great time, met a lot of really great folks, had a really great cook out last night and am very pleased that the folks governing the fly-in decided to place the Maules in the Light Touring. We had a fourth Maule (Todd, ?, I'm sorry, I forgot your last name) in a really pretty M-5 235 go in with us and he too did great.
The official standings for Light Touring; 1st Chet Harris 2nd Ryan Kerby (Kelly!!?) and 3rd myself. Thanks to all of those that stopped by and said hi, good luck and good job.
More importantly, thanks to all of the volunteers that made this event so seamless and smooth. I hope you are the same staff that shows for the Palmer show in August.
Jeremy; Thanks for spending the weekend with us. It was great to spend the time with you & Mary and we really hope you spend a little time hanging around up here with us. Your knowledge, company and humor are always welcome!
Now, we need someone with some skill (I'm out!) to post some pictures..!

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

thanks wup :D

i'm starting a new thread for pictures:
http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8059#8059
M5-235

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

YELLOWMAULE wrote:Thanks Wup!
The official standings for Light Touring; 1st Chet Harris 2nd Ryan Kerby (Kelly!!?) and 3rd myself. Thanks to all of those that stopped by and said hi, good luck and good job.
What model of Maules and with what mods were these guys flying? Good Job Fellas! Would love to see some videos

Mark
1975 Maule M5-210C

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

1st place: M5-210c
2nd place: M5-235c
3rd place : M4-210c

i'll let the other guys brag up their own birds. but mine has elevator gap seals, an 81" 2 blade mccauley, lycon ported cylinders, 29" bushwheels, 20/40 flaps, a 1600lb empty weight, and a "no fat chicks" bumper sticker.
M5-235