August Alaska Fly-in

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

August Alaska Fly-in

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Had dinner with some friends last night who are in the planning stages of a Valdez-style fly-in in Palmer. There will be the usual short Take off and landing contests with a couple of twists; you'll be flying at or near gross. None of this stripping the plane. This will be an everyman's contest, fly what you brought and not some tricked out 38# Cub...! They also want to do some other things like simulated dead stick spot landings, how to avoid the Moose Stall, some well known local demo pilots, A/C for sale, static displays, vendors and seminars. The general public will be invited too.
They're planning all this for the weekend before Moose season so there will be an element of safety and application before everyone and their brother heads out to kill something. I believe they'll be anouncing things here in the next couple of weeks. This could be a lot of fun!
Live it like its your last day.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Nice! It would be good to meet some of you guys.

mauleCFI

Post by mauleCFI »

I would love to bring my family. Keep us informed .

chetharris
100+ Posts

Palmer

Post by chetharris »

K,
Sounds great. I hope they sepeate the planes into classes better than they do at Valdez. I also hope they keep the landing and take-off portions seperate. Deadstick spot landings sound fun. Could draw quite a crowd. I hope you stay invoved, and we get some local maule participation. We never seem to make much of a presence at Valdez.

I have been meaning to call. From what I read about hear, you are back in the saddle. I will pick up the phone.

C

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Their still formatting their ideas so jump in with the suggestions as to classes. Of course, we'll have to make Chet take a handicap! 8)
I was also told about workshops for engine and A/C care in the field, maintenance, how to read surface conditions before landing and others. There are to be workshops for the hunters too like how to be found if your lost. Looks like there'll probably be a swap meet too.
Live it like its your last day.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Hope there is not a 40kt wind with dust blowing off the Knik Glacier that day! Flying in and out of Palmer can be quite a challenge sometimes. Sounds like a good time. Who is sponsoring all this?

taylormaule

Alaska fly in

Post by taylormaule »

There was a Palmer show event in 08, maybe by Nat. Guard. The Alaska Airman's association was there. We're usually on floats in summer! Don't forget to join http://www.alaskaairmen.org/contact.htm. Jim
Elmendorf 6 mile summer base. Hawaii winter flying T-craft, Maule M-5 floats, from Ca to AK for the summer.

belandd
100+ Posts

Ak Fly In

Post by belandd »

I would enjoy this also.

I will keep my eye on your plans.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.