Maule Fly In ???

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Undaunted
100+ Posts

Maule Fly In ???

Post by Undaunted »

When I open the home page I see the picture of all the Maules lined up on the grass runway (I believe this is Big Creek). Is there any interest in doing another big fly in out west to a location that could support a big group ie Johnson Creek, Big Creek, Smiley Creek or ??

I would love to see this happen on an annual basis!

I personally would be up for this in August, anyone else?
1999 M7-235C

andy
Site Admin

Re: Maule Fly In ???

Post by andy »

That photo was Big Creek ID in 2006. August is not good for me. The first half of September is better.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

We're entering an el Nino year. That means hotter and dryer conditions, so August will be miserable and deep into the fire season. Earlier or later would be better for me, but I am interested and curious.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I think Big Creek ID is the best destination for a Maule Fly-In. There's snow until July and then again in October most years so August or September are the best months. August is usually hot and smoky from forest fires. September is better but still in fire season although usually cooler. Frost is possible in September. Big Creek has a newly rebuilt lodge with a yurt and a restaurant courtesy of the Idaho Aviation Foundation. There's not as much aircraft traffic as there is at Johnson Creek and the runway is about the same size (3550 x 110) as Johnson Creek (3400 x 150). Elevation at Big Creek is little higher (5743) than Johnson Creek (4933). Density altitude is a factor for both of them in the afternoon. Johnson Creek has a house at the North end of the runway that needs to be avoided. If there's smoke from forest fires, Big Creek is better since it's a bit more open than Johnson Creek. Here's the contact information for Big Creek:

Big Creek Lodge c/o Idaho Aviation Foundation
PO Box 2016 Eagle, ID 83616
Email: info@bigcreeklodgeidaho.com
Phone: 208-949-1828
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Definitely agree August can be smoky out west. Early September may be a better choice.
1999 M7-235C

Ryan in Georgia

Post by Ryan in Georgia »

I would be interested and would definitely try to make that.
As long as there are tests in school there will be prayer in schools.